News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taiwan's answer to Susan Boyle

Started by Monoriu, April 09, 2010, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Who is Susan Boyle and why does she need an answer?

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 09, 2010, 03:04:28 PM
Who is Susan Boyle and why does she need an answer?

Susan Boyle is a sort of frumpy looking English woman who won the English amateur-star-search TV program... last year?  She came on and gave the vibe of one of those embarassing people about to humiliate themselves but instead proved to be an amazing singer.  A bit of a feel good story (hence, why it wasn't posted on Languish) on the internet back when it happened.  This kid can sing really well too, and looks kind of dorky, so if you like that sort of thing that's another feel good story.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2010, 03:40:32 PM
A bit of a feel good story (hence, why it wasn't posted on Languish) on the internet back when it happened. 

Interesting seeing as how we had a thread titled "Susan Boyle."

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=524.0
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

"amazing singer" is not how I would describe Susan Boyle.

She is pretty good by the standards of the talent show reality programs, which is not saying that much.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2010, 03:47:43 PM
A bit of a feel good story (hence, why it wasn't posted on Languish) on the internet back when it happened.

Interesting seeing as how we had a thread titled "Susan Boyle."

http://languish.org/forums/index.php?topic=524.0

Yeah, this forum is the only reason I'd heard of her

Eddie Teach

I don't think she won, but came in second to a dance troupe.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 09, 2010, 04:36:58 PM
I don't think she won, but came in second to a dance troupe.

I bet millions of people thought she won, which is the only thing that really matters  ;)

Jacob

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 09, 2010, 03:56:55 PM
"amazing singer" is not how I would describe Susan Boyle.

She is pretty good by the standards of the talent show reality programs, which is not saying that much.

Heh, yeah fair enough.

I think the "amazing" really is a description of the distance between initial expectations and her actual performance, rather than an absolute level of quality.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on April 09, 2010, 04:52:29 PM
I think the "amazing" really is a description of the distance between initial expectations and her actual performance, rather than an absolute level of quality.

Although I think that's a negative as it speaks more to people's preconceptions about ugly, crazy, old ladies.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Susan Boyle is a sort of frumpy looking English woman who won the English amateur-star-search TV program... last year? 
Scottish.  She'd headbutt you if she'd heard that :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Agelastus

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 09, 2010, 05:45:32 PM

Susan Boyle is a sort of frumpy looking English woman who won the English amateur-star-search TV program... last year? 
Scottish.  She'd headbutt you if she'd heard that :P

If she didn't have a mental breakdown first.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."