News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Books on the Latin American revolutions

Started by Razgovory, April 13, 2010, 06:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Specifically the wars of independence from Spain.  I'm curious about the differences and similarities between the American Revolution and those of Latin America.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Larch

Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 06:56:06 AMI'm curious about the differences and similarities between the American Revolution and those of Latin America.

The context is very different, as the independence of the Spanish South American territories arose mainly from the power vacuum and subsequent instability created by the abdication of the Bourbon kings and the sezing of the Spanish crown by Napoleon, amongst other causes.

grumbler

http://www.amazon.com/Liberators-Latin-Americas-Struggle-Independence/dp/158567284X/ref=pd_cp_b_1 provides the needed context to understand the stories of the various movements and why they both succeeded and failed.  Writing is a bit loose, so if you are reading for reference rather than pleasure it can be a bit misleading.  Overall, though, it is probably the best book I know of to answer your question.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2010, 12:02:09 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Liberators-Latin-Americas-Struggle-Independence/dp/158567284X/ref=pd_cp_b_1 provides the needed context to understand the stories of the various movements and why they both succeeded and failed.  Writing is a bit loose, so if you are reading for reference rather than pleasure it can be a bit misleading.  Overall, though, it is probably the best book I know of to answer your question.

Thank you Grumbler.  This is exactly what I was looking for.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on April 13, 2010, 08:19:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 13, 2010, 06:56:06 AMI'm curious about the differences and similarities between the American Revolution and those of Latin America.

The context is very different, as the independence of the Spanish South American territories arose mainly from the power vacuum and subsequent instability created by the abdication of the Bourbon kings and the sezing of the Spanish crown by Napoleon, amongst other causes.
And elites have a very different view of 'revolution' after France.
Let's bomb Russia!