Lift priority button combo - urban myth or truth?

Started by Martinus, April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2010, 02:30:30 PM
To see if it works? If I'm a cop needing to get to floor 20 quickly, I'd not only want to avoid skipping picking up new people, but also letting out people pressing intermediate floors. If there is an override, my guess is it would override everything.

Emergency services doesn't use "override codes."  They get a key for the control panel that switches it into an "emergency" mode.
Experience bij!

Zanza

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 05, 2010, 06:07:04 PM
Somehow I'm guessing if you tried this in an 50 story building it's not gonna work.
I tried it today in the 63 story building I live in at the moment and it didn't work.

Josquius

Living in a 63 story building? :o

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 06, 2010, 01:51:43 AM
To see if it works? If I'm a cop needing to get to floor 20 quickly, I'd not only want to avoid skipping picking up new people, but also letting out people pressing intermediate floors. If there is an override, my guess is it would override everything.

Emergency services doesn't use "override codes."  They get a key for the control panel that switches it into an "emergency" mode.
That sounds pretty time consuming to use.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2010, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM
So, about two weeks ago someone told me that apparently most lifts have a "priority" mode built in. According to him, if you press the button of the floor you want to go to simultaneously with the door-closing button, the lift won't stop at any intervening floors, even if someone called the lift to them earlier.

I was quite incredulous about it, as you can imagine, but since I have been doing this and always got to my floor of destination without stops. Now of course this could be a coincidence, but I was wondering if anyone heard about it at all.

Am I understanding the post? Martinus tried out the priority mode for two weeks, and it always worked, but is now asking us if priority mode exists?

A hypothesis ("priority mode exists") cannot be proven by observation, it can only be disproven. So far I have been unable to disprove it, but that does not mean "it works".

grumbler

Man, I wish I'd said that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zanza

Quote from: Tyr on April 06, 2010, 06:34:04 AM

I live in the left big building in this picture. I only live in the 11th story though. In the meantime they have built more skyscrapers around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sail_@_Marina_Bay

Apparently it's one of the ten highest residential buildings on earth...

Admiral Yi

Warspite

I work in a building where even pressing the buttons regularly is no guarantee you'll get there without the engineer having to come round and rescue you. And it's only a four-storey building.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on April 06, 2010, 07:02:54 AM

I live in the left big building in this picture. I only live in the 11th story though. In the meantime they have built more skyscrapers around it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sail_@_Marina_Bay

Apparently it's one of the ten highest residential buildings on earth...
Wow, you're a pretty worldly man.  I bet no places measure up to New Jersey, though.

Zanza

In May I'll go back to live in a 1960s three story suburb building in Germany. :P I liked Hoboken actually, so my image of New Jersey is not bad.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 06, 2010, 06:39:23 AM

A hypothesis ("priority mode exists") cannot be proven by observation, it can only be disproven. So far I have been unable to disprove it, but that does not mean "it works".

The version of the priority mode I had heard included it would override both people wanting to get onto the elevator and those already in it. I figured you had heard the same version, but apparently not.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

sbr

That sounds pretty time consuming to use.

How can it be time consuming?  They have a key, they put it into the key slot then turn the key.  It is as time consuming as the ignition on your car.

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on April 06, 2010, 08:20:36 AM
The version of the priority mode I had heard included it would override both people wanting to get onto the elevator and those already in it. I figured you had heard the same version, but apparently not.

The way it works in my building is that it will override all stops except:

*for floor buttons pushed by someone inside the elevator (which is nice since it won't piss off people already on the elevator)
*if the door closes before you have pressed your button combination

I don't have much reason to use it these days since I am on the 5th floor, but when I was on the 14th floor I used it all the time.  I do it out of habit when I have to go up to our 15th floor for a meeting.

For reference, the elevator manufacturer is Dover.  IIRC, Dover & Otis elevators tend to work for this more ofteh than others.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

I have yet to work out how the three elevators in our office building are coordinated. From ground level it's 9 floors up, two floors down.

Often in the mornings, waiting at ground level, one elevator will be on 2nd floor, going to the 8th to pick someone up, while a different elevator comes down empty from 7th floor for you. Meanwhile, the third one will hang motionless on 5th floor for no apparent reason. Not to mention several elevators passing you when you're on a middle floor but not stopping on their way up or down (and no, we don't have an override feature).

I have come to the conclusion that OTIS is a branch of Sirius Cybernetics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on April 06, 2010, 08:17:38 AM
In May I'll go back to live in a 1960s three story suburb building in Germany. :P I liked Hoboken actually, so my image of New Jersey is not bad.
Damn, I didn't realize we lived within half an hour of each other, by walking.  :ph34r: