Lift priority button combo - urban myth or truth?

Started by Martinus, April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

So, about two weeks ago someone told me that apparently most lifts have a "priority" mode built in. According to him, if you press the button of the floor you want to go to simultaneously with the door-closing button, the lift won't stop at any intervening floors, even if someone called the lift to them earlier.

I was quite incredulous about it, as you can imagine, but since I have been doing this and always got to my floor of destination without stops. Now of course this could be a coincidence, but I was wondering if anyone heard about it at all.

Neil

It's a common belief with children, but it is untrue.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2010, 07:36:19 AM
I never heard it before.
Perhaps you were not adequately exposed to elevators in your youth?  Did you live somewhere with few elevators?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2010, 07:39:09 AM
I never heard it before.
Perhaps you were not adequately exposed to elevators in your youth?  Did you live somewhere with few elevators?

I am extremely disappointed you did not make a joke about how backwards Poland is.

Josquius

I've heard of it before.
From what I hear it only works with certain brands of lift.

However, in the same cool little technology stories vein there's the one about coke vending machines having a combination to press to go into debug mode- this one definitely works. Unfortunately there's just crap like changing language and that in there though, getting free drinks can only be done from the inside.

And on lifts- what the hell is it with mainland Europe and those unsafe, single door lifts?
I've never seen one in Britain but they're all over elsewhere I've been.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on April 03, 2010, 09:23:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 03, 2010, 07:39:09 AM
I never heard it before.
I am extremely disappointed you did not make a joke about how backwards Poland is.
A lack of elevators isn't necessarily backwards.  It could be that he lived somewhere within Poland where they built low, as the local commissar had declared that no building could be built higher than the local statue of Lenin.

Besides, I prefer to mock Marti based on his homosexuality, not on his Russian background.  There really wasn't a good gay joke to be made.  I could have said something like 'You would have heard about this if it had involved elevating yourself onto some cock', but that just sounds retarded.

Ed Anger

There is a Yakov Smirnoff joke that could be told, but I'll hold off.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Definitely works in my work building.  I actually posted that here 4-5 years ago.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

katmai

Quote from: derspiess on April 03, 2010, 11:54:36 AM
Definitely works in my work building.  I actually posted that here 4-5 years ago.
you are such a fucking liar spicy, we weren't even "here" 4-5 years ago!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

Quote from: katmai on April 03, 2010, 05:53:51 PM

PAWNED
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: Jaron on April 03, 2010, 06:01:54 PM

PAWNED

I wonder how much you can get for pawning a derspeiss?  :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Agelastus

Quote from: Barrister on April 03, 2010, 06:11:16 PM
Quote from: Jaron on April 03, 2010, 06:01:54 PM

PAWNED

I wonder how much you can get for pawning a derspeiss?  :huh:

Nothing, if Derspeiss was referring to Languish as a forum, rather than Languish as a location on a particular server etc. Languish is at least 8 or 9 years old, I am certain.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

katmai

katmai

Yes aggie the languish forums were started about 8 years ago, with the 7th anniversary of the large exodus on the 11th of this month.