Lift priority button combo - urban myth or truth?

Started by Martinus, April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: katmai on April 03, 2010, 07:13:06 PM
And no April 11th is anniversary of family member being murdered.

Jackasses
:o

I'm so sorry :console:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

I now realize why I never told you all.

But thanks guys, the killer was caught and tried, will never be free again.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jaron

April 11th is the exs bday. Sure as hell ain't celebrating that this year either. :P
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 04, 2010, 02:45:37 AM
I now realize why I never told you all.

But thanks guys, the killer was caught and tried, will never be free again.

:punk:

The system works!
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

I like our anniversary. :)

I have no idea about priority mode, don't usually use elevators.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM
So, about two weeks ago someone told me that apparently most lifts have a "priority" mode built in. According to him, if you press the button of the floor you want to go to simultaneously with the door-closing button, the lift won't stop at any intervening floors, even if someone called the lift to them earlier.

I was quite incredulous about it, as you can imagine, but since I have been doing this and always got to my floor of destination without stops. Now of course this could be a coincidence, but I was wondering if anyone heard about it at all.

Am I understanding the post? Martinus tried out the priority mode for two weeks, and it always worked, but is now asking us if priority mode exists?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Josquius

Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2010, 12:45:40 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2010, 07:33:41 AM
So, about two weeks ago someone told me that apparently most lifts have a "priority" mode built in. According to him, if you press the button of the floor you want to go to simultaneously with the door-closing button, the lift won't stop at any intervening floors, even if someone called the lift to them earlier.

I was quite incredulous about it, as you can imagine, but since I have been doing this and always got to my floor of destination without stops. Now of course this could be a coincidence, but I was wondering if anyone heard about it at all.

Am I understanding the post? Martinus tried out the priority mode for two weeks, and it always worked, but is now asking us if priority mode exists?
Could be a coincidence.
██████
██████
██████

DGuller

So far I'm 1 for 1 at work.  When I did the sequence that Marti described, the door immediately closed, and the elevator went past the floors in the middle without chiming as it usually does.  Could be a coincidence, but I'll perform many more tries. 

One thing I realized is that there may be a bias in people's samples of this trick.  I imagine that people would be trying this only when they're alone, to avoid strange looks, and that's the most likely time when no one else needs an elevator.

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2010, 01:57:06 PM
So far I'm 1 for 1 at work.  When I did the sequence that Marti described, the door immediately closed, and the elevator went past the floors in the middle without chiming as it usually does.  Could be a coincidence, but I'll perform many more tries. 

One thing I realized is that there may be a bias in people's samples of this trick.  I imagine that people would be trying this only when they're alone, to avoid strange looks, and that's the most likely time when no one else needs an elevator.

Now I understand why I didn't understand the need for a thread. If you are going from floor 1 to floor 3, why not just press 2 and 3, with 3 using the lift priority trick.

I figured that is what Martinus was trying.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Razgovory

In psychology this is called "Magical thinking".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2010, 02:06:46 PM
Now I understand why I didn't understand the need for a thread. If you are going from floor 1 to floor 3, why not just press 2 and 3, with 3 using the lift priority trick.

What's the point of pressing 2?  The express trick may be real, but may not be programmed to override the previous floor selections.  The point of this trick is that if you're going from floor 1 to floor 20, you will be doing it in one motion, rather than stopping on the way to your floor to pick up some jerks in the middle.

Josquius

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2010, 01:57:06 PM

True.
Someone should just try a simple scientific experiment.
Get a friend to wait at floor 2 whilst you start on the ground floor and try try to go up to 4, via phone tell him when to press the call lift button and see if it stops for him,
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on April 05, 2010, 02:17:23 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 05, 2010, 02:06:46 PM

What's the point of pressing 2?  The express trick may be real, but may not be programmed to override the previous floor selections.  The point of this trick is that if you're going from floor 1 to floor 20, you will be doing it in one motion, rather than stopping on the way to your floor to pick up some jerks in the middle.

To see if it works? If I'm a cop needing to get to floor 20 quickly, I'd not only want to avoid skipping picking up new people, but also letting out people pressing intermediate floors. If there is an override, my guess is it would override everything.