News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Taiwan's answer to Susan Boyle

Started by Monoriu, April 09, 2010, 02:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Heh, I actually caught a lot of it on Youtube. Diversity was cool, I'm glad they won.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Lucidor

He is good, I give him that... I'm assuming he has been training on nailing that song some time - it's interesting to see if he is as quick to learn the rest of the repertoire.

EDIT: The guy has a lovely counter tenor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSDTDqLI_10&feature=related
He puts colour to the high notes like a woman. Impressive!

Lucidor

I listened some to Michael Chance's arias from the Matthew Passion, and Chance is much more nuanced.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHbOOe8n2gY

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Korea on April 10, 2010, 04:13:40 PM
He sings very prettily. :) Kind of weird to hear that voice coming out of a dude though.... :hmm:

Altos and sopranos are rare in male voices, but they do happen.  There was a kid in Texas who got offed from his school choir because he was in first soprano range and couldn't sing tenor without risking blowing out his voice.  Naturally, the school went with the blanket "soprano roles are traditionally female" rather than admit the disservice they were doing the kid.
Experience bij!

Lucidor

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 12, 2010, 07:22:19 AM
Quote from: Korea on April 10, 2010, 04:13:40 PM
He sings very prettily. :) Kind of weird to hear that voice coming out of a dude though.... :hmm:

Altos and sopranos are rare in male voices, but they do happen.  There was a kid in Texas who got offed from his school choir because he was in first soprano range and couldn't sing tenor without risking blowing out his voice.  Naturally, the school went with the blanket "soprano roles are traditionally female" rather than admit the disservice they were doing the kid.
Girls soprano voices and male sopranos have different timbres, so I guess the mix would always sound a bit weird, but they could have used him in medieval ensemble work and it would have been splendid.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 10, 2010, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 09, 2010, 11:36:12 PM
If someone doesn't watch much tv I don't see why they would know about her

Heck, even someone who does watch lots of tv might miss her if they didn't watch light news programs or pay attention to promos for a few weeks last spring.

She is sufficiently famous for JR to correct Jacob on the quality of her singing ability.  ;)

Admiral Yi

If someone had said the ugly broad who sang well on UK Idol I would have known who they were talking about.  I just didn't remember the name.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Lucidor on April 12, 2010, 11:27:44 AM
Girls soprano voices and male sopranos have different timbres, so I guess the mix would always sound a bit weird, but they could have used him in medieval ensemble work and it would have been splendid.

True, though I'd point out that natural male sopranos don't sound like the castrati did, either. :contract:
Experience bij!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2010, 05:44:27 PM
If someone had said the ugly broad who sang well on UK Idol I would have known who they were talking about.  I just didn't remember the name.
Whose name?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

He's already been voted off for his Mandarin rendition of something or other.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

That dude does kinda look like Boyle. He has the round face and bushy eyebrows part at least.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: merithyn on April 12, 2010, 09:09:05 PM
He's already been voted off for his Mandarin rendition of something or other.

Yeah I heard he sang in Mandarin.  It was only average. 

Lucidor

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 12, 2010, 06:17:54 PM
Quote from: Lucidor on April 12, 2010, 11:27:44 AM

True, though I'd point out that natural male sopranos don't sound like the castrati did, either. :contract:
I know. It was quite rare with castrati and not a big thing in church choirs, IIRC.