News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish Here I Stand (9?) Thread

Started by ulmont, April 09, 2009, 01:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The English did send out a file and you missed the Papal squadron built in Ravenna, but I'll fix that.

Meanwhile, my own play :

QuotePlaying Janissaries as event :

1 regular to Nezh.
1 regular to Sofia.
1 regular to Salonika.
1 regular to Nicopolis.

I'm going to pass the remainder of the turn.

OTTOMAN WINTER :

Suleiman and 2 regulars from Belgrade to Istanbul.
Scattered regulars (Nezh, Sofia, Nicopolis) to Istanbul.
Ibrahim and all troops in Rhodes to Istanbul.
Squadrons in Aegean Sea to Coron.
Barbarossa and 2 corsairs from Tyrrhenian Sea to Algiers.
Squadrons in Barbary Coast to Algiers.

Habsburgs are up.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 11:29:28 AM
The English did send out a file

You're right.  I just remember that Berk's board he sent out didn't have the English stuff either.

and you missed the Papal squadron built in Ravenna, but I'll fix that.

Yay.

OTTOMAN WINTER :

You forgot the big font.

Habsburgs are up.

And with a field battle to resolve.

Delirium

I can't figure out your number of units as 2+6, it's either 1+6 or 3+6 or 4+6.

Can you place mercs in a space under siege? Otherwise you're limited to Philip's rating of 6.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ulmont

Quote from: Delirium on April 23, 2009, 02:29:55 PM
I can't figure out your number of units as 2+6, it's either 1+6 or 3+6 or 4+6.

The final 1 is inside the Trier fortress to begin with, and sallies forth.

Quote from: Delirium on April 23, 2009, 02:29:55 PM
Can you place mercs in a space under siege? Otherwise you're limited to Philip's rating of 6.

You cannot place mercs in a space under siege, but...

Quote from: LandsknechtsMercenaries are placed in any combination of spaces already containing friendly land units (even just before a field battle or assault), but not in a stack under siege.

I'm not placing them in a stack under siege, but placing them in the stack that's about to have a field battle.

1) Raise 4 mercs in Mainz (1+4)
2) Move to Trier (1+4)
3) Trier sieged forces sally (2+4)
4) Landsknechts adds to the battle (2+6).

Philip's battle rating is irrelevant, since I don't need him to move the entire formation there.  He gets the 1+4 to the space, the 1+0 sallies, and then 0+2 gets added.  On the other hand, if you want to give me 4+6, I'll take that.

Habbaku

Ulmont, you are fine to place the units in the space prior to the field battle, but they wouldn't be capable of contributing to it as they would bypass Philip's command rating.

The maximum you can possibly have participating in that battle is the 6 troops with Philip along with whatever sallied out from the besieged space itself--IE, the 1 regular.  You'll be rolling 7 dice, in other words.

Playing Landsknechts here is pretty useless, unless you only bring Philip in with 4 troops.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 02:40:54 PM
Ulmont, you are fine to place the units in the space prior to the field battle, but they wouldn't be capable of contributing to it as they would bypass Philip's command rating.

I'm not seeing that limitation in the rules.

Quote from: 14.12. Attacker Adds Up Battle Dice: The active player is always considered
the attacker in a field battle. The attacker adds up the number
of dice he will roll as follows:
• 1 die for each land unit in the moving formation
• 1 die for each Battle Rating point from the highest-rated leader in
the attacking force

I see no restriction that the formation fighting be supportable by a leader in the attacking force.

Habbaku

You quoted it yourself, but alright...

Quote• 1 die for each land unit in the moving formation

So go to the definition of formation (5.1, Formations) :

QuoteA formation is a group of land units in a single space that functions
as a combined entity for the purposes of movement, field battle,
intercept, and assault. One or more army leaders may also be included
in the formation. The maximum number of land units in a
formation is dependent on the Command Rating of any leaders
present:

Leaders Present : 1
Maximum Formation Size : Command Rating of Leader

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 02:45:50 PM
So go to the definition of formation (5.1, Formations) :

Well, that sucks (and I'm not sure it interacts well with the Relief Forces option that allows all to participate ignoring formation limits).  It looks to me like after the sieged forces sally out they are no longer a stack under siege and I should be able to add the 2 mercs there and get the full dice pool.

Del, I am uninterested in a 6-die / 6-die battle with you, and was even before you pulled out the tercios.  Mind if I rewind that move?

Habbaku

Quote from: ulmont on April 23, 2009, 02:50:25 PM
Well, that sucks (and I'm not sure it interacts well with the Relief Forces option that allows all to participate ignoring formation limits).  It looks to me like after the sieged forces sally out they are no longer a stack under siege and I should be able to add the 2 mercs there and get the full dice pool.

It interacts just fine with the Relief Forces rule because the Relief Forces rule is the exception to it, as is clearly stated in the rulebook.

I'm not sure what would give you the impression that the besieged forces are no longer under siege, though.  If the siege is not  broken (and it is not considered broken until you actually drive the besiegers off somehow), then they are considered besieged for all purposes.  There is no point where they are not under siege until then.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

ulmont

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 02:54:53 PM
I'm not sure what would give you the impression that the besieged forces are no longer under siege, though.

Well, this thread, for one, which describes the same scenario.
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2848204

Habbaku

I went ahead and posted on CSW.  We'll get a definite answer soon.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Delirium

In that thread you referred to on BGG Ed answered a different question.

I'm with Habs here, I just don't see that there is any way you could view the units in the fortress as even temporarily not under siege.

But since I cheated with Schammlakaak I'm fine with you taking your move back.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

ulmont

Quote from: Delirium on April 23, 2009, 03:35:17 PM
In that thread you referred to on BGG Ed answered a different question.

Yup, Ed answered a different question.  Ed also didn't contradict all the "count all units and ignore the stacking requirement" comments.

Quote from: Delirium on April 23, 2009, 03:35:17 PM
But since I cheated with Schammlakaak I'm fine with you taking your move back.

It'll be faster that way.  Replaying now.

ulmont

Board sent.  Just recruited 5 mercs for Philip instead.

Delirium

Edit: changed my move completely.

QuoteHapsburgs: Play Card as Operations
#82: 2 / Janissaries Rebel

Message from Hapsburgs:
Fuck it, I'll redo the whole move, return my home card and play this instead. These two cp's sees a merc from Ferdinand's stack move back to Salzburg and control it. England is up. Bah, stupid rules.

File sent.