News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice to the Democrats, by Bill Maher

Started by viper37, March 27, 2010, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2010, 07:14:06 AM
I don't think you understand show business.  The last thing Maher wants is to be like another comic (Jon Stewart and Dennis Miller do, indeed, spring to mind - but that niche is covered).  Maher wants to be unique, and uses this hilariously extreme approach in order to be unique.

I think what Ann Coulter does is mostly show business too.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2010, 08:51:40 AM
Disagree.  I would guess she gets far more of her income from speaking fees than from show business.  I'd bet the opposite of Maher.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

She gets those fees(as well as book sales, another big chunk of her income) because she's sold herself playing a character on the news.  Besides, you wouldn't call Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods "actors" because they've raked in so much money making commercials.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2010, 02:20:12 PM
They both turn off the middle.
Do they really?
Or fo they shock them enough to bring them over their side, wichever was closest from 'their' middle?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2010, 07:06:46 PM
If there was no Maher, the Dems would be in infinitesimally better shape than they are now. That there are similarly toxic Republicans who counterbalance him doesn't change the fact that *his* effect is negative.
I think people like Michael Moore and Sean Penn do a lot of damages to the Democrats, much more than any tv/radio host could ever do.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on March 29, 2010, 08:16:59 AM
and I do have to admit he is funny and entertaining.
:yes: Religulous FTW.  :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Frankly, I don't think the US has a "leftist equivalent of Ann Coulter", at least in absolute terms (i.e. as hateful and evil, but directing his or her attacks against supporters of the Republican party). American politics is too skewed to the right to have a truly evil left (say, the communist equivalent of dominionists, for example).

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on March 29, 2010, 11:01:00 AM
I think people like Michael Moore and Sean Penn do a lot of damages to the Democrats, much more than any tv/radio host could ever do.

Everybody watches tv just as everybody watches movies, there's the same potential audience either way. But my point wasn't about the amount of damage he does, but rather that his overall effect, however small, was damaging rather than supporting the cause.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 29, 2010, 08:59:14 AM
Disagree.  I would guess she gets far more of her income from speaking fees than from show business.  I'd bet the opposite of Maher.

Probably true, but that doesn't mean she isn't in "show business".  You still need to be entertaining and engaging in order to rake in big speaking fees.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 29, 2010, 11:44:44 AM

Probably true, but that doesn't mean she isn't in "show business".  You still need to be entertaining and engaging in order to rake in big speaking fees.

So now we are going to include Al Gore and George Bush as being in show business?

grumbler

I suppose that, if you ignore the meaning of the term "show business," you could say that she is in show business.

You could say that about anyone under those conditions, though.  Rather defeats the purpose of having the term.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 29, 2010, 12:00:56 PM
So now we are going to include Al Gore and George Bush as being in show business?
:yes:  That's a problem with defining "show business" so loosely.  I'd argue, though, that George Bush is more in "show business" than Ann Coulter is.  he is doing this to make money, while she is doing it to try to influence policies and votes.  Maher is doing it for the money.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 29, 2010, 09:37:50 AM
She gets those fees(as well as book sales, another big chunk of her income) because she's sold herself playing a character on the news.  Besides, you wouldn't call Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods "actors" because they've raked in so much money making commercials.
I would call none of Coulter, Woods, or Jordan actors, and I would call Maher one.

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 29, 2010, 12:00:56 PM

In 2010?  Sure.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Does anyone remember the old days when Maher was a basically nonpartisan libertarian?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014