News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice to the Democrats, by Bill Maher

Started by viper37, March 27, 2010, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

He's kept up the whole Marijuana legalization shtick and disdain of religion. What other libertard pet projects did he deal with on Politically Incorrect?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2010, 11:20:33 AM
Frankly, I don't think the US has a "leftist equivalent of Ann Coulter", at least in absolute terms (i.e. as hateful and evil, but directing his or her attacks against supporters of the Republican party). American politics is too skewed to the right to have a truly evil left (say, the communist equivalent of dominionists, for example).

I guess it's all in your perspective.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 29, 2010, 07:25:33 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 29, 2010, 11:20:33 AM
Frankly, I don't think the US has a "leftist equivalent of Ann Coulter", at least in absolute terms (i.e. as hateful and evil, but directing his or her attacks against supporters of the Republican party). American politics is too skewed to the right to have a truly evil left (say, the communist equivalent of dominionists, for example).

I guess it's all in your perspective.

And Marti's perspective of America...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jaron

We have our crazy Lefties. Michael Moore and such.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on March 29, 2010, 07:41:34 PM
We have our crazy Lefties. Michael Moore and such.

I thought he made honest documentaries. :huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

As long as we're on Michael Moore and crazy lefties, there's a question I have.  Whenever he was on CNN (which was like once a week) to talk about health care reform, he would always go off about the Democrats disinclination to "fight" for the program.  Kat in the Hatmai's bestest friend Mike Gravel said the exact same thing about pulling out of Iraq during the primaries.  It seems to be a term used fairly regularly by progressives when talking about legislation.

Anyone have any idea what this means exactly?  Seems to me either you have the votes or you don't.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on March 29, 2010, 03:05:56 PM
Does anyone remember the old days when Maher was a basically nonpartisan libertarian?
I think he found the market for that type of entertainment limited, and so adjusted his schtick to stay employed.  That's show biz for ya.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2010, 08:06:17 PM
As long as we're on Michael Moore and crazy lefties, there's a question I have.  Whenever he was on CNN (which was like once a week) to talk about health care reform, he would always go off about the Democrats disinclination to "fight" for the program.  Kat in the Hatmai's bestest friend Mike Gravel said the exact same thing about pulling out of Iraq during the primaries.  It seems to be a term used fairly regularly by progressives when talking about legislation.

Anyone have any idea what this means exactly?  Seems to me either you have the votes or you don't.
I think you can get votes by leaning on Blue Dogs, and the like.  You can threaten primary opposition, or the like.  Plus, use straight intimidation.  LBJ was a master of this process, and he got results even when he didn't start out with the votes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 29, 2010, 08:06:17 PM

Not for Democrats.  There are a lot of Democrats that are from conservative districts, and thus afraid to get on with the Democratic program.  Getting a vote out of them is not easy, but may be doable with a lot of leaning.

MadImmortalMan

It means turning on the political machine of smoke-filled rooms and threats from union bosses, of course. Arm-twisting. Making offers that can't be refused.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers