News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Advice to the Democrats, by Bill Maher

Started by viper37, March 27, 2010, 10:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

I wonder if people like Maher and Coulter realize that they're helping the other side more than their own.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2010, 11:26:32 AM
I wonder if people like Maher and Coulter realize that they're helping the other side more than their own.  :rolleyes:
No, I don't think they do.
And I don't think they care.
Nor do I think they have an adverse effect, really.

They both preech to the converted.  Democrats hearing Coulter think its one more proofs Republicans are all a bunch of idiots.
Republicans hearing Maher think it's one more proof the liberals are worst than they can ever be.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2010, 01:39:12 PM
They both preech to the converted.  Democrats hearing Coulter think its one more proofs Republicans are all a bunch of idiots.
Republicans hearing Maher think it's one more proof the liberals are worst than they can ever be.

They both turn off the middle.

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2010, 02:20:12 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 27, 2010, 01:39:12 PM

They both turn off the middle.

But since there is no real "third alternative" in America, what does that matter? If some of the middle is turned off by both parties, they just won't vote - so where's the harm for either party?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on March 27, 2010, 02:50:24 PM
But since there is no real "third alternative" in America, what does that matter? If some of the middle is turned off by both parties, they just won't vote - so where's the harm for either party?

X + Y = 0 does not imply X = 0.

Agelastus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 27, 2010, 04:42:45 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on March 27, 2010, 02:50:24 PM

X + Y = 0 does not imply X = 0.

No, it does not, but your point in the context of some voters being turned off by both parties is?
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grallon

"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Agelastus on March 27, 2010, 05:01:58 PM
No, it does not, but your point in the context of some voters being turned off by both parties is?

If there was no Maher, the Dems would be in infinitesimally better shape than they are now. That there are similarly toxic Republicans who counterbalance him doesn't change the fact that *his* effect is negative.

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on March 27, 2010, 06:31:00 PM
:lol:  At least he's funny - as opposed to the whole 'fire and brimstone' crowd on the other side...

G.

You just liked that he was vulgar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

Quote from: garbon on March 27, 2010, 07:19:14 PM

You just liked that he was vulgar.

:P  I enjoyed how apt the colorful language he used was to describe the whinny little bitches that are so many republicans when things don't go their way.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on March 27, 2010, 07:39:09 PM
:P  I enjoyed how apt the colorful language he used was to describe the whinny little bitches that are so many republicans when things don't go their way.

G.

?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grallon

I don't get the reference but it made me laugh.  :hug:

G.

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Whinny. I think you meant whiney or whiny. :P

And that's Mr. Ed. :wub: