News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Second Coming

Started by grumbler, April 08, 2009, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 11:08:38 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2009, 11:07:37 AMNot bad.

I'd never pay for a new car like that though.

:ph34r:

I reserve the right to stop paying on it, and drive a lemon through the dealership's front window.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 10:50:27 AMA 4 is just as good as a 5 in getting those Ps out of intro classes.

Depends on the program.  Some do require a 5 in certain subjects, and some don't accept APs at all. 

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2009, 10:38:17 AM
Well, where I come from ex-military people are not considered good poetry teachers.

We consider them uneducated scum and don't let them anywhere children.
Well, where I come from (the US Navy) we kinda feel the same way about ex-military types, and ours aren't even Polacks to begin with, as a rule.  :cool:

Since I am not ex-military, your jibe is an EPIC FAIL.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 09, 2009, 11:16:51 AM
Depends on the program.  Some do require a 5 in certain subjects, and some don't accept APs at all. 

Stanford does! :w00t:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

PDH

Grumbler gave my grandfather an "F" back in '42. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

For some reason, I haven't really remembered that poem, despite reading it when I studied English.

The lecturer mainly focused on the poem capturing the "spiritus mundi", that is the zeitgeist of the post-Great War West where the future seemed bleak and dull. And then moved on to The Wasteland and recommended Oswald Spengler.  :tinfoil:

Then later, in smaller classes, the ph. d. student teacher gave us his interpretation, which basically was that Yeats was an occultist/esoteric and the sphinx (the Greek one) symbolises the female divine blah blah and also rebirth since the Greek sphinx was a flying one (like a phoenix from the ashes). And to think this was almost ten years before Dan Brown. I left the class even a bit dumber than before.

grumbler

Quote from: Fate on April 09, 2009, 10:54:56 AM
Why would a student of an AP class explore what they already knew? I would rather suspect if an AP student understood the historical facts required to get an A in the class, they wouldn't waste time with a poem (unless you're a prick and put it on the test.  :P)
I don't write the AP test!  :lol:

AP courses are more than about learning the material; half the points on the AP test come from essays, and those essays require you to apply existing knowledge to new situations.  A good way to teach this is to "make the familiar unfamiliar," which is to take something they know (like how nationalism was exploited by the conservatives in the years leading up to WW1) and make it unfamiliar (i.e. nationalism is now a falcon "turning and turning in the widening gyre" and it "cannot hear the falconer").

If your teachers do not do this where it is possible, I pity you (and them).  I do test using this method as well (like my test on Gandhi placed him in the modern US as the leader of a group of Hispanics trying to force the US to give up the land it gained in the treaty of Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo.  Students had to show they understood the career of Mohandas Gandhi by describing what the parallels would be in the case of the "American Gandhi."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on April 09, 2009, 11:24:42 AM
Tell him it is too late to turn in that missing homework.

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2009, 11:30:42 AM
I don't write the AP test!  :lol:

Presumably they still have tests during the course of the semester? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2009, 11:30:42 AM
AP courses are more than about learning the material; half the points on the AP test come from essays, and those essays require you to apply existing knowledge to new situations.  A good way to teach this is to "make the familiar unfamiliar," which is to take something they know (like how nationalism was exploited by the conservatives in the years leading up to WW1) and make it unfamiliar (i.e. nationalism is now a falcon "turning and turning in the widening gyre" and it "cannot hear the falconer").

Yeah on my test I had to interpret a Barbara Tuchman quote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I'm amazed you remember the contents of the test (and I think you and are are basically the same age). :blink:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Damn you guys for taking an interesting thread and making it boring.  :bash:

Anyway, out of curiousity Grumbles, did any of your students come up with interpretations that surprised you (in a good way)?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 11:42:50 AM
I'm amazed you remember the contents of the test (and I think you and are are basically the same age). :blink:

Indeed. I can't really even remember which tests I took. :blush:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2009, 11:46:34 AMIndeed. I can't really even remember which tests I took. :blush:

I know I took Euro History AP and American History AP.  I'm pretty sure I took English AP as well.  I must have taken a fourth one because I earned 32 credits for them all.  Is there an Anatomy & Physiology or Biology AP exam?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: PDH on April 09, 2009, 11:24:42 AM

Your grandfather was alive in 1842?  :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.