News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Second Coming

Started by grumbler, April 08, 2009, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2009, 10:38:17 AMWell, where I come from ex-military people are not considered good poetry teachers.

We consider them uneducated scum and don't let them anywhere children.

Given Poland's military history I'm not surprised the Poles consider their soldiers scum. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

I wish I knew how much of a role those classes played into getting me into college. I would like to go back and do the bare minimum required!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 10:50:27 AMYeah I got all 4s and 5s.  A 4 is just as good as a 5 in getting those Ps out of intro classes.

In retrospect I think I just should have taken those easy classes and gotten the As

In retrospect I should have used the 32 credits I had going into college to do a year abroad with a light schedule instead of picking up a minor. :blush:

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 10:51:54 AM
In retrospect I should have used the 32 credits I had going into college to do a year abroad with a light schedule instead of picking up a minor. :blush:

I took a double major.  What was wrong with us?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Fate

Quote from: grumbler on April 09, 2009, 10:23:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2009, 10:17:27 AM
Sounds like a lesson in pointlessness. I wasn't really interested in my high school teachers' pet theories.
I would note that this was an AP class.  I wouldn't have expected the typical student to get it, and in fact I rather suspect that if I tried it in my regular history classes, the students there would react exactly as you have.  They would be trying to figure out what the poet "meant' and my "pet theory" was, rather than using the poem as a tool to explore what they already knew.
Why would a student of an AP class explore what they already knew? I would rather suspect if an AP student understood the historical facts required to get an A in the class, they wouldn't waste time with a poem (unless you're a prick and put it on the test.  :P)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 10:51:54 AM
do a year abroad

yay! Youth Hostels!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Fate on April 09, 2009, 10:54:56 AM
Why would a student of an AP class explore what they already knew? I would rather suspect if an AP student understood the historical facts required to get an A in the class, they wouldn't waste time with a poem (unless you're a prick and put it on the test.  :P)

:D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 10:53:57 AMI took a double major.  What was wrong with us?

I dunno. :lol:

CAL = I'll use the extra time to take a comp sci minor! :nerd:

CAL'S BRO = I'll use the extra time to study in London, intern in the Crown Court of England and Wales, and bang a hot Malaysian broad!  :cool:

CAL'S BRO = WIN

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 11:00:45 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 10:53:57 AMI took a double major.  What was wrong with us?

I dunno. :lol:

CAL = I'll use the extra time to take a comp sci minor! :nerd:

CAL'S BRO = I'll use the extra time to study in London, intern in the Crown Court of England and Wales, and bang a hot Malaysian broad!  :cool:

CAL'S BRO = WIN

MONO = Who makes more money now?

I had to do that.  :Embarrass:

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2009, 10:33:36 AM
The problem is that if grumbler is to his students anything like he is on this board, it is emphatically not fun. He appears to combine his "alternative interpretation" approach with an insistence that the alternative approach he thought up is the only correct one - which is quite flummoxing and must be deeply frustrating to students.
Actually, this is not the way I am on this board, and not the way I am in class.  You would, indeed, find my class difficult and frustrating, though, as your inability to read and comprehend English (at least) is marginal, and you lead to delusions based on the misapprehension that you understand.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2009, 11:01:45 AMMONO = Who makes more money now?

Probably me, but I dunno for sure.  He's very tight-lipped about shit like that.  He's a siting consultant with a firm contracted exclusively to T-Mobile, so I imagine he does pretty well.  He just bought a 2009 Accord straight-up, no loan.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 11:05:36 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2009, 11:01:45 AMMONO = Who makes more money now?

Probably me, but I dunno for sure.  He's very tight-lipped about shit like that.  He's a siting consultant with a firm contracted exclusively to T-Mobile, so I imagine he does pretty well.  He just bought a 2009 Accord straight-up, no loan.

Not bad.

I'd never pay for a new car like that though.

Caliga

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 09, 2009, 11:03:31 AM
I love grumbler.  :)

He's a complicated man, and no one understands him but his woman. :yes: