It's your decision but... everybody volunteers his opinion on it in your country

Started by Martinus, March 24, 2010, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2010, 11:12:25 AM
Yes but most people live in cities.  There is no point in going outside a city to buy a "real house" if that also means your commute is so long you dont spend any time there other then to sleep.

A half mil will get you a real house with a pretty reasonable commute in just about any city you care to mention.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2010, 11:14:54 AM
Yes but most people live in cities.  There is no point in going outside a city to buy a "real house" if that also means your commute is so long you dont spend any time there other then to sleep.

A half mil will get you a real house with a pretty reasonable commute in just about any city you care to mention.

If it's Hong Kong, your sentence can be fixed with just one letter - bil instead of mil :contract:

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on March 24, 2010, 11:18:21 AM

If it's Hong Kong, your sentence can be fixed with just one letter - bil instead of mil :contract:

Okay, excepting NYC, London, Hong Kong, and probably Tokyo.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2010, 11:19:46 AM
Okay, excepting NYC, London, Hong Kong, and probably Tokyo.
I was just about to say actually £500,000 will get you a nice, decent-sized house with an easy commute in London, then realised you were talking dollars :D

Grey Fox

Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2010, 10:39:27 AM
You're thinking £350,000 is expensive?

Dude, that would buy a giant size home in any Montreal suburb.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on March 24, 2010, 11:13:04 AM
Quote from: ulmont on March 24, 2010, 11:10:44 AM
Meh, in retrospect I really never should have bought a house.

Really?  Buying my first house was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Really.  10 years in, and now it's just kind of an albatross.

MadImmortalMan

My parents have owed me over $30k since I was 19. I will never see the money, and there's zero chance they will ever help me financially with anything. In fact, I've had to pay their rent twice in the last two years to keep them from being evicted.  <_<

Speaking of albatross.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Iormlund

What does reasonable mean?

DGuller

crazy canuck

I care to mention Vancouver.  No chance.  Unless you have a very different idea of what a reasonable commute is.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 24, 2010, 07:37:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 24, 2010, 11:45:59 AM
Quote from: Tyr on March 24, 2010, 10:39:27 AM
You're thinking £350,000 is expensive?

Dude, that would buy a giant size home in any Montreal suburb.

Have you seen the exchange rate lately. ;)

Doesn't matter. Montreal isn't that expensive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.