It's your decision but... everybody volunteers his opinion on it in your country

Started by Martinus, March 24, 2010, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

What?! You only need a 30% mortgage? You lucky, lucky bastard! Have you paid off your current place then?

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2010, 09:40:34 AM
What?! You only need a 30% mortgage? You lucky, lucky bastard! Have you paid off your current place then?

yes, about 3 years ago.  :blush:

And I may be able to prepay the 30% in a couple of years too, if my parents manage to sell a car from their collection and help me out.  :ph34r:

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 24, 2010, 08:27:07 AM
Fashion sense. People keep telling me I should pick my pants up off the ground.

Well, I have to say you are lookin' like a fool with your pants on the ground.  With the gold in your mouth, hat turned sideways, etc....
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

That's good advice really.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 09:41:53 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 24, 2010, 09:40:34 AM

And I may be able to prepay the 30% in a couple of years too, if my parents manage to sell a car from their collection and help me out.  :ph34r:

You only need a 30% mortgage, and your parents will pay part of that?

*Throws garbage*  :D

But yeah, apartment sounds great. Post pics when you can.

Also, is Counsel similar to partner? Either way, if it happens we can have a long-distance congratulation party. At your expense.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 09:41:53 AM

Seriously, despite the fact you earn that much? You are such a spoilt brat! When I told Dad I was having trouble paying my mortgage and bills, the best he could offer was "You can always rent your flat out and move back into your old room" :bleeding:

Martinus

Well, I'm also helping my parents with money since they do not have a steady income (their pension sucks). So it's not like I'm a spoiled brat. :P

Martinus

And for the record, I would be repaying my parents that money - it's just better to owe it to them than to the bank. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:52:26 AM
Also, is Counsel similar to partner? Either way, if it happens we can have a long-distance congratulation party. At your expense.  :D

A Counsel is something below Partner but above Senior Associate - it is essentially a new post made in big lawfirms to give people some carrot without making them partners (yet). Especially in the "imperial province" like Poland, where it is extremely difficult to become a partner in an international lawfirm. It's different if I was in a Polish lawfirm - would be a partner long ago.

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on March 24, 2010, 09:51:21 AM

That's good advice really.
Common sense, even.  Pants are designed to be on the body, not on the ground.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 10:00:36 AM
Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 09:52:26 AM

A Counsel is something below Partner but above Senior Associate - it is essentially a new post made in big lawfirms to give people some carrot without making them partners (yet). Especially in the "imperial province" like Poland, where it is extremely difficult to become a partner in an international lawfirm. It's different if I was in a Polish lawfirm - would be a partner long ago.

Similar then to the concept of "income partner" here.

Big firms belatedly realizing that getting a partner's book of business is effectively impossible for associates when your "clients" are all major banks (or drug manufacturers). It isn't like your average associate can find a new bank to bring in as a client.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

I'd be happy to be able to afford a 80% 30 year mortgage.

Freaking gay lawyers.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on March 24, 2010, 07:32:50 AM
So I am considering buying a new flat, and apparently everybody is an expert and happy to discuss for hours prices, locations and whatnot.

What are similar topics in your country? :P

People like to give advice about flat purchases because they want to justify their own flat purchases.

ulmont

Quote from: Malthus on March 24, 2010, 10:07:13 AM
Big firms belatedly realizing that getting a partner's book of business is effectively impossible for associates when your "clients" are all major banks (or drug manufacturers). It isn't like your average associate can find a new bank to bring in as a client.  :D

Hell, it isn't even like your average lateral partner can bring over many clients, conflicts being what they are...