Obama Bows to Saudi King

Started by derspiess, April 08, 2009, 10:28:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Today the King of Saudi Arabia... tomorrow Zod. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

PDH

King Zog would be cooler than Zod.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 11:22:18 AM
Is bowing to a foreign head of state supposed to be a bad thing?
It's a republican (small r) thing I think.  The US has a tradition of not dipping it's flag to monarchs during the Olympics, and I can't recall seeing a previous president bow.

I haven't seen this footage (dialup) but if the Saudi bow was like the UK head jerk it's not an issue.

Caliga

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2009, 11:49:39 AM
I haven't seen this footage (dialup) but if the Saudi bow was like the UK head jerk it's not an issue.

It's a fairly deep bow.  But maybe it is much ado about nothing.  After all, bowing to foreign kings like that fits in well with his apology tour :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

I didn't watch the footage, but the opening pic of the footage seemed to show a deep bow.

I guess it's just me   I can bow 20 times a day if I'm in court, so I associate a bow with a sign of respect, not of humility or homage.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 11:56:15 AM
It's a fairly deep bow.
From the waist or from the neck?  How many degrees from the vertical?:nerd:

Caliga

*shrug* Well, he is a Muslim. :P

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: Fireblade on April 08, 2009, 11:07:16 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 10:41:35 AM
Quote from: vinraith on April 08, 2009, 10:33:22 AM
Conservatives would get more upset about symbolic obsequiousness than the real obsequiousness we've been showing the Saudis for decades, wouldn't they?

Tell that to Camille :contract:

Who the fuck is Camille and why should we care?

Because she's on the left.

Google "Camille Paglia" if you don't know who she is.  Or just ask garbon.

The "left". Hardly. She's an art history prof. Not representative of any actual political bent other than a bent towards social freedom to create or fuck whatever art you like. also she's a windbag. No one cares about her opinions anymore.
:p

Barrister

Gerbo clearly cares about her opinions.   :D
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2009, 11:58:57 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 11:56:15 AM
It's a fairly deep bow.
From the waist or from the neck?  How many degrees from the vertical?:nerd:

From the waist, about 45 degrees.  Video isn't long, though it is preceded by an annoying commercial.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on April 08, 2009, 12:02:09 PM
The "left". Hardly.

She's often quite critical of her own side, but I don't see how you can't consider her to be on the left.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 12:07:44 PM
From the waist, about 45 degrees.
Yikes.  That's a pretty serious bow.

DisturbedPervert

At least he didn't get on his hands and knees.

Berkut

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 08, 2009, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2009, 11:25:41 AM
Man this growing list of Faux outrage is getting annoying.  OMG he gave the queen an Ipod!  OMG he talked to the Russians!  OMG he bowed to the King of Saudi Arabia.
Conservative loonies have to show they can out-loon the Leftist loonies, who have had a lot of practice the past eight years.

QFT.

And the lefties are trying to prove they can be even more uncritically accepting of Der Leader than the conservitards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned