News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The End of Christian America

Started by Eochaid, April 08, 2009, 05:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:44:35 PM
Martinus, I wish so much you were an arab in whatever country I'm deploying next.
Don't worry.  You'll be an arab in whatever country you're deploying next.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: ulmont on April 08, 2009, 06:45:13 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:09:31 PM
Strictly speaking southern baptists are not evangelicals, IIRC.

Based on what?

How about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_of_Evangelicals

Southern Baptists are not a member.

Now lets not go too far down this road, as Southern Baptists are a pretty conservative Christian bunch and have much in common with Evangelicals.  Pentacostals and Mormons are also fairly conservative and growing and are not Evangelicals.

And by the way, don't confuse the term evangelism with the Evangelical Christianity.   Many/all Christian faiths, including Baptists and Catholics, engage in evangelism.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 07:00:02 PM
Quote from: ulmont on April 08, 2009, 06:45:13 PM

Based on what?

How about this:

Now lets not go too far down this road, as Southern Baptists are a pretty conservative Christian bunch and have much in common with Evangelicals.  Pentacostals and Mormons are also fairly conservative and growing and are not Evangelicals.

And by the way, don't confuse the term evangelism with the Evangelical Christianity.   Many/all Christian faiths, including Baptists and Catholics, engage in evangelism.
And West Germany wasn't a democracy, as it wasn't part of the Democratic German Republic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:40:05 PM
It's not really so odd, given that many Christians believe that their god sent everybody to hell for millions of years before Jesus came along.
Well, yes, but if they were virtuous pagans born at the wrong time or sincerely unable to believe then they're only in the first circle of hell and it's not all bad there.  I mean they're missing out on God, but who needs God when you're room-mates with Homer?
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2009, 07:13:38 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:40:05 PM
It's not really so odd, given that many Christians believe that their god sent everybody to hell for millions of years before Jesus came along.
Well, yes, but if they were virtuous pagans born at the wrong time or sincerely unable to believe then they're only in the first circle of hell and it's not all bad there.  I mean they're missing out on God, but who needs God when you're room-mates with Homer?
See, Catholicism isn't that bad.  Their willingness to compromise every one of their principles in an effort to be accepted is commendable.  That's why I don't get all the bitching about condoms and abortion from the Church.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 07:00:02 PM

I thought Pentecostals were also Evangelicals?  There are no less than 4 "Pentecostal" churches on your National Association of Evangelicals list, and also see:

QuoteLatino Pentecostal Identity - Evangelical Faith, Self and Society
http://www.amazon.com/Latino-Pentecostal-Identity-Evangelical-Society/dp/0231127332

MadImmortalMan

What we have here is a failure to communicate.  :P

Beeb is using the term "Evangelicals", meaning the organization(s). ulmont is using the lower-case-e evangelicals, ie--the adjective. The adjective came into the political lexicon as describing the NAE member churches IIRC. Now, it's used to describe anyone with more belief than Dawkins.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

ulmont

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 08, 2009, 08:58:38 PM
Beeb is using the term "Evangelicals", meaning the organization(s). ulmont is using the lower-case-e evangelicals, ie--the adjective.

There were still 4 Pentecostal churches in Beeb's organizational list...

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:52:11 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:44:35 PM
Martinus, I wish so much you were an arab in whatever country I'm deploying next.
Don't worry.  You'll be an arab in whatever country you're deploying next.
:face:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2009, 04:01:01 PM
  Today there are more active Christians in China than in Europe (and the number appears to be growing rapidly),

Christianity is even on the rise in a number of arab countries. Algeria for example has seen a boom (heh) in it's numbers of christians. And mostly young people at that too. Only question is how long they'll remain christian and wether or not they can expand their numbers further.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:50:51 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:35:24 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:11:21 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
The evangelicals can grow all they like in the third world, so long as their numbers continue to collapse in the first world.  The numbers of Southern Baptists are down a little, and that's a start.

They're definitely protestants.

Both you and Martinus are men.

That doesn't mean you're gay however.
True, but 'man' isn't a synonym for 'gay'.
Is it a: homonym?

Grey Fox

Would Martinus be less a whiny bitch if he wasn't gay?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 07:18:19 PMSee, Catholicism isn't that bad.  Their willingness to compromise every one of their principles in an effort to be accepted is commendable.  That's why I don't get all the bitching about condoms and abortion from the Church.

The Church wants to increase the number of Catholics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 08:24:21 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 07:18:19 PMSee, Catholicism isn't that bad.  Their willingness to compromise every one of their principles in an effort to be accepted is commendable.  That's why I don't get all the bitching about condoms and abortion from the Church.

Then again, I guess it depends on who the Church is going for.  To increase their flock in North America, they need to say 'Yay condoms!'.  On the other hand, Africans hate condoms.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on April 09, 2009, 08:24:21 AM

Well, I am not sure it works. In the West, it scares off probably more people than it causes to be born, grow up AND stay Catholic.

In Africa I am not sure about the exact numbers, but I wouldn't say that having twice as many followers, but all of them dying of AIDS, is better.