Main Menu

The End of Christian America

Started by Eochaid, April 08, 2009, 05:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:11:21 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
The evangelicals can grow all they like in the third world, so long as their numbers continue to collapse in the first world.  The numbers of Southern Baptists are down a little, and that's a start.

Strictly speaking southern baptists are not evangelicals, IIRC.
They're definitely protestants.

They're something like Wiccans and believe that they have the original Chrisitianity that they kept secret from the world for 1000 years or so.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:28:28 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:27:43 PM
Man, why the hell did this thread got so many posts?

I can't read that fast!

Do what i do and post something nonsensical and off topic!

But I want to read it.
Can I get a sumary?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:29:19 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:28:28 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:27:43 PM
Man, why the hell did this thread got so many posts?

I can't read that fast!

Do what i do and post something nonsensical and off topic!

But I want to read it.
Can I get a sumary?
Yahweh sucks donkey cock. He hates you, too. Southern Baptists are not Evangelicals. Lapsed catholics are, though.

Did I get it right, guys? :unsure:

Barrister

The evangelicals can grow all they like in the third world, so long as their numbers continue to collapse in the first world.  The numbers of Southern Baptists are down a little, and that's a start.

Both you and Martinus are men.

That doesn't mean you're gay however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 05:52:14 PM
Where is the room for growth?  Well its two-fold.  First is the developing world.  Latin America, Asia, is probably the source of most of the growth.  But beyond that most "mainstream" Christian denominations continue to see falling numbers, so there is plenty of room for growth there.
But the number of people who describe themselves as 'born again' is up.  Meanwhile, to use a hideous phrase I saw in the Wall Street Journal (barely better than the Telegraph and 'staycation'), 'pastorpaneurs' (God help me!) are growing their churches/businesses in South Korea, China, Latin America and Africa.  China's got more Christians (and they tend to be individualist, emotional outbursty Christians) than they have Communist Party members.  It's about to become one of the world's largest Christian countries (not to mention Muslim countries).

America has showed, yet again, that it's true skill is turning something once for an elite into something everyone can have.  In this case even the elect don't match American mass capitalism.
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:35:24 PM

:zipped:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

That's at least two erroneous statements right there.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2009, 06:29:12 PM
They're something like Wiccans and believe that they have the original Chrisitianity that they kept secret from the world for 1000 years or so.
I know.  The earliest Christian writings we have, before the fucking Nicene Creed, uses analogy to study the Bible and yet now, 2000 years later we discover that's wrong and the meaning's there all along.  I mean Christ alive the Church was built on Jewish and Greek culture, it was never going to be that simple.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:36:47 PM

:zipped:

Did you and Neil have a tender moment together you'd like to talk about? :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:38:15 PM

He's already said he'd bury me, so i better not say anything.  :Embarrass:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on April 08, 2009, 06:29:12 PM
It's not really so odd, given that many Christians believe that their god sent everybody to hell for millions of years before Jesus came along.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 06:38:49 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:38:15 PM

He's already said he'd bury me, so i better not say anything.  :Embarrass:
Maybe he will bury you for bukkake only?

Siege

Martinus, I wish so much you were an arab in whatever country I'm deploying next.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

ulmont

Based on what?

QuoteSouthern Baptist Identity: An Evangelical Denomination Faces the Future
http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Baptist-Identity-Evangelical-Denomination/dp/1433506793

QuoteThe Southern Baptist Convention, the largest Protestant denomination with 16 million members, has provoked sharp criticism in recent years for its attempts to convert Jews, Muslims and Hindus. This year, the SBC announced a new evangelistic campaign in six religiously diverse cities in the North and West, and that too drew complaints.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/week345/feature.html

QuoteThis week, CBS News' Brian Goldsmith talked with one of the nation's key evangelical leaders, Richard Land, president of the Southern Baptist Convention's Ethics and Religious Liberty Commission
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/08/08/politics/politicalplayers/main4331863.shtml

QuoteGlobal Evangelical Relations
http://www.sbc.net/globalrelations/

QuoteGuideStone Financial Resources exists to assist the churches, denominational entities, and other evangelical ministry organizations by making available retirement plan services, life and health coverage, risk management programs and personal and institutional investment programs.
http://www.sbc.net/aboutus/legal/guidestone.asp

It looks like others consider Southern Baptists Evangelical, like the Southern Baptists call themselves at least in part Evangelical, and like the Southern Baptists act in an Evangelical manner...

Neil

True, but 'man' isn't a synonym for 'gay'.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.