Main Menu

The End of Christian America

Started by Eochaid, April 08, 2009, 05:30:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 04:19:34 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 08, 2009, 04:17:49 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 08, 2009, 04:15:11 PM
Yeah. Or I would be a Christian if they weren't so stuck up about gays (and a couple of other things, like birth control). I don't believe in cherry-picking type of religion, so since I reject some of its tenets, I don't see myself sincerely embracing the rest. I think it's a honest approach, rather than pretending some of the nasty stuff isn't there.

I like Jesus and the whole catholic drama-queenish love for pomp and circumstance, though.
Huh. I believe Kain said something along those lines and he put it pretty well: Catholics see church as a temple; Protestants (mostly, exception made for Episcopalians) see it as a country club.
I've always respected Cain more than Abel. At least he had his pride.
Anyone who gives a salad to someone who ordered filet minion deserves whatever he gets. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Viking

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 08, 2009, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 08, 2009, 03:02:25 PM
I've always attributed that to the source of behaviour. The atheist can base his behavior of his morality because doesn't need to square his deeds with an external source of morality but only his conscience, while the believer needs to square his personal view of right and wrong with his external source of morality.

The religious believe if they don't confess, they're damned. The nonreligious believe that if they don't confess, they get away with it. :contract:

That sounds like a really great slogan... do you have any corroboration for that argument?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: vinraith on April 08, 2009, 11:24:07 AM
No, of course not. It's not about building ID up at this point, just tearing evolution down.
Actually, ever since Dover, that's the entirety of their strategy.  They don't have ID, they can't teach the controversy.  All they have now is the dissent from Darwin holding action until they can get the Establishment Clause overturned in the courts.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on April 08, 2009, 04:23:42 PM
Anyone who gives a salad to someone who ordered filet minion deserves whatever he gets.
Did their god actually order a filet mignon?  He asked for sacrifice, and got it.  The Christian god is pure evil.  If I thought for a minute that he actually existed, I'd expend all my efforts and power to destroy him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 04:43:17 PM
Did their god actually order a filet mignon?  He asked for sacrifice, and got it.  The Christian god is pure evil.  If I thought for a minute that he actually existed, I'd expend all my efforts and power to destroy him.

Well, in all fairness Cain's reaction to God's displeasure with his veggies was way more over-the-top than God's "disrespect" for his offering.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Queequeg

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 08, 2009, 04:51:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 04:43:17 PM

Well, in all fairness Cain's reaction to God's displeasure with his veggies was way more over-the-top than God's "disrespect" for his offering.

Who were you in The Old Country, TNWWT?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
And yet it's been increasing for what - 30-40 years?

I guess thats right.  The birth is probably the rise of the moral majority in the 80s.  Do you think it is still increasing in numbers?  I would have thought that particular market of belief became saturated by the end of the 90s.  Where is the room for growth now?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 08, 2009, 05:26:16 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 04:04:44 PM
And yet it's been increasing for what - 30-40 years?

I guess thats right.  The birth is probably the rise of the moral majority in the 80s.  Do you think it is still increasing in numbers?  I would have thought that particular market of belief became saturated by the end of the 90s.  Where is the room for growth now?

With respect, I think you're equating the politically religious right with the general growth of the evangelical faith.  Growth in evangelism arguably goes as far back as the 40s and 50s and Billy Graham and the like (although the movement goes back even further than that).  It was only in the 1980s that certain aspects turned to political activism, but the churches, the preaches were all there well before that,

Where is the room for growth?  Well its two-fold.  First is the developing world.  Latin America, Asia, is probably the source of most of the growth.  But beyond that most "mainstream" Christian denominations continue to see falling numbers, so there is plenty of room for growth there.

Now I tried to find hard numbers and couldn't find any, but I'll keep looking.

Neil

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 08, 2009, 04:51:12 PM
Why?  The Christian god wanted blood, and blood he got.  Yahweh revels in murder.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 05:52:14 PM
Where is the room for growth?  Well its two-fold.  First is the developing world.  Latin America, Asia, is probably the source of most of the growth.  But beyond that most "mainstream" Christian denominations continue to see falling numbers, so there is plenty of room for growth there.
The evangelicals can grow all they like in the third world, so long as their numbers continue to collapse in the first world.  The numbers of Southern Baptists are down a little, and that's a start.

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM
The evangelicals can grow all they like in the third world, so long as their numbers continue to collapse in the first world.  The numbers of Southern Baptists are down a little, and that's a start.

Strictly speaking southern baptists are not evangelicals, IIRC.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on April 08, 2009, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 06:07:36 PM

Strictly speaking southern baptists are not evangelicals, IIRC.
They're definitely protestants.

Siege

Man, why the hell did this thread get so many posts?

I can't read that fast!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

katmai

Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:27:43 PM
Man, why the hell did this thread got so many posts?

I can't read that fast!

Do what i do and post something nonsensical and off topic!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son