Gates' defense budget: more low-tech, less high-tech

Started by CountDeMoney, April 08, 2009, 05:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 08, 2009, 05:22:56 AM
With North Korea testing long range missile I'd prefer that we keep the Missile Defense Agency.

If only you could actually defend against missile attack just by having an Agency with the appropriate name.

All we would need then is to set up an Agency for World Democracy, Freedom and World Peace, Agency for American Economic Recovery, and Agency for Generalized Happiness.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2009, 12:20:16 PM
IMHO the missile shield would be the most expensive & useless toy in the history of war even if it worked like a charm shooting down 100 ICBMs from every 100.
What makes you say that?  If the missile shield was perfect, we could finally eliminate Russia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Iormlund

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 01:57:51 PM
IMHO the missile shield would be the most expensive & useless toy in the history of war even if it worked like a charm shooting down 100 ICBMs from every 100.
What makes you say that?  If the missile shield was perfect, we could finally eliminate Russia.

They could still nuke half the States from subs. Or even fishing trawlers if they feel like it.

Iormlund

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2009, 06:28:06 AM
If North Korea wants to nuke the US  in a first strike you shouldn't worry about ICBMs but fishing boats, cargo containers and civilian airplanes...

How about we worry about both, rather than put all our eggs in one basket?

If money was no concern you could. Somehow I suspect it is, and all those billions would be better spent in the USCG, port facilities and the like rather than on a system which serves Putin better than the US.

Siege

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2009, 08:22:56 AM
I would say that overall this is pretty refreshing - a change of focus from the whiz-bang golly-gee super toys to practical and applicable force augmentation.

We have some 180+ F-22s already - how many more do we need[/]? Note that I am not asking how many more people in Connecticut and Georgia to we need to employ.

Well, they can send those unemployed F-22 builders to fill the 60 000 new openings in the Army.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

There is no political will to do that, even if we could.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Iormlund on April 08, 2009, 06:34:21 PM

They could still nuke half the States from subs. Or even fishing trawlers if they feel like it.
Fishing trawlers aren't really suited to launch a nuclear missile.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:52:58 PM
I would say that overall this is pretty refreshing - a change of focus from the whiz-bang golly-gee super toys to practical and applicable force augmentation.

We have some 180+ F-22s already - how many more do we need[/]? Note that I am not asking how many more people in Connecticut and Georgia to we need to employ.

Well, they can send those unemployed F-22 builders to fill the 60 000 new openings in the Army.
These are skilled workers, not idiotic grunts.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 07:07:19 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 08, 2009, 06:52:58 PM

These are skilled workers, not idiotic grunts.
They can build hundreds of UCAS aircraft, thereby rendering the current Air Force obsolete and send all those personnel into useful services, like the Army or Navy.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Neil

I think we've seen from Iraq and Afghanistan that the Army isn't really a useful service either.