Gates' defense budget: more low-tech, less high-tech

Started by CountDeMoney, April 08, 2009, 05:05:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Neil on April 08, 2009, 09:17:21 AM
Probably a good decision to limit the number of Zumwalts they build.  They're pricey, and given that the main instrument of US sea power is the carrier group (and thus odds are good that a ship would be operating near a carrier), it doesn't make sense to have a stealth destroyer sitting right next to a huge, unstealthy carrier.

You can see the AEW aircraft, you can see the carrier and you can see the radar from the air defense radar and the guided missile cruiser. But you can't see the JSFs in the CAP, you can't see the attack sub under the carrier group and you can't see the stealth picket destroyers all around the carrier group getting the data from the radar and sonars of the louder parts of the carrier group.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Crazy_Ivan80

QuoteMine Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle

I read that is Mime Resistant Ambush Protected vehicle...

I am now hugely disappointed :(

Viking

Quote from: PDH on April 08, 2009, 10:05:26 AM
Does this mean they are going to bring back the Sgt York?  That tech was rather low...

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

I was quite happy when I heard they were axing the Army's FCS. That crap sounds like it would have gotten a lot of soldiers killed.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 08, 2009, 08:22:56 AM
I would say that overall this is pretty refreshing - a change of focus from the whiz-bang golly-gee super toys to practical and applicable force augmentation.
I agree.  I hope he doesn't get too much stick for doing what seems perfectly sensible.
Let's bomb Russia!

Alatriste

Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2009, 06:28:06 AM
If North Korea wants to nuke the US  in a first strike you shouldn't worry about ICBMs but fishing boats, cargo containers and civilian airplanes...

How about we worry about both, rather than put all our eggs in one basket?

That's not the point. The point is, the day the shield works (if it ever does, and that's highly unlikely) the enemy would have means to "go trough the Ardennes" instantly and at zero cost, and I didn't even mention cruise missiles, small airplanes and a host of other ways to carry a nuke to its intended destination.

Is worth it spending so many billions and investing so many R&D resources just to force the enemy to use slower but stealthier ways? IMHO the missile shield would be the most expensive & useless toy in the history of war even if it worked like a charm shooting down 100 ICBMs from every 100. 

Berkut

Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2009, 12:20:16 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 08, 2009, 09:34:38 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on April 08, 2009, 06:28:06 AM
If North Korea wants to nuke the US  in a first strike you shouldn't worry about ICBMs but fishing boats, cargo containers and civilian airplanes...

How about we worry about both, rather than put all our eggs in one basket?

That's not the point. The point is, the day the shield works (if it ever does, and that's highly unlikely) the enemy would have means to "go trough the Ardennes" instantly and at zero cost, and I didn't even mention cruise missiles, small airplanes and a host of other ways to carry a nuke to its intended destination. 

Instantly and at zero cost?

Really?

How much do you think a nuke weighs?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Vince

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 08, 2009, 12:18:50 PM
I would say that overall this is pretty refreshing - a change of focus from the whiz-bang golly-gee super toys to practical and applicable force augmentation.
I agree.  I hope he doesn't get too much stick for doing what seems perfectly sensible.

With all the defense jobs at stake every Congressman with a defense job in his district is going to raise hell. 

Valmy

Quote from: Vince on April 08, 2009, 12:28:54 PMWith all the defense jobs at stake every Congressman with a defense job in his district is going to raise hell. 

We should have listened to Eisenhower.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Norgy on April 08, 2009, 08:42:20 AM
I hope they have put aside money for breech-loaders.

And what would they need to load their pants with?

DGuller

Quote from: Vince on April 08, 2009, 12:28:54 PM
With all the defense jobs at stake every Congressman with a defense job in his district is going to raise hell.
Why not then eliminate only the jobs in the Republican districts, while leaving them alone in the Democratic districts, as a compromise?

Vince

Quote from: DGuller on April 08, 2009, 12:52:40 PM
Quote from: Vince on April 08, 2009, 12:28:54 PM
Why not then eliminate only the jobs in the Republican districts, while leaving them alone in the Democratic districts, as a compromise?

I can live with that.   :)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 08, 2009, 12:30:35 PM
Quote from: Vince on April 08, 2009, 12:28:54 PMWith all the defense jobs at stake every Congressman with a defense job in his district is going to raise hell. 

We should have listened to Eisenhower.
Expensive but not entirely useful weapons programmes are really ideal ways of getting pork in a bill.  They can be described as being in the national interest which makes them ideal.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

We have some 180+ F-22s already - how many more do we need[/]? Note that I am not asking how many more people in Connecticut and Georgia to we need to employ.
As many as neccessary to replace every F-15 :yes:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point