And we're back!

Main Menu

Toxic Multiculturalism

Started by Grallon, March 12, 2010, 12:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 06:22:57 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on March 12, 2010, 06:15:11 PM
So once again, it's Quebecois people demanding everyone bow down to their will?  You basically admitted it has nothing to do with right or wrong and everything to do with stroking your egos and demanding everyone respect your people while giving no respect in return.  Silly.

What are you taklking about?!

How would you react to guests in your house starting to demand that *you* change *your* hoursehold's habits to accomodate theirs?  I suspect you'd tell them to stuff it or get out!  Unfortunately here we're still too polite to show them the door...  <_<

G.

You mean like providing francophone services in anglophone areas?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2010, 06:20:20 PM

Right. It is a multicultural country.

How many times must I say this!?  Canada is not *one* country - it's a federation containing at leat 2 countries (Quebec and the ROC) - 3 if you count the Nunavut.

QuoteThat is very clear, and something of which I was not ignortant of: namely that some francophone Quebeckers like multiculturalism when it redounds their benefit and enhances their cultural power and authority; they don't like it when it gives any recognition, respect to other communities or cultures in Canada.

Can you honestly put on the same footing a people of 7+ million with a long standing history of occupying this land with 'communities' of a few thousands or a few 10s of thousands?!

QuoteIt is not that surprising to see portions of a particular community in a polity desiring a privileged position and the subordination of others.  What I still haven't seen is any plausible philosophical or moral justification for such a stance.

There you go again with the unitary equation.  Think of the European Union if it will help you conceptualize what Canada really is.  Outside of Quebec I'd say that most canadians see themselves as most americans do: different from region to region but all citizens of one nation.  Quebecers however see themselves as radically different.  It's very clear for us that we live in one country and our neighboors live in another - even though we're all sharing the same area - again much like french or germans or italians are all europeans; but remain themselves within their own borders.

As for the moral justification of the stance in this particular case (and all others such) I've explained it in my previous post: this society has reached a social equilibrium between modernity and tradition.  Anything that upsets this balance need to be circumscribed.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 07:08:20 PM

How many times must I say this!?  Canada is not *one* country - it's a federation containing at leat 2 countries (Quebec and the ROC) - 3 if you count the Nunavut.

Gotta be more than that, since the other provinces have the same legal standing as Quebec, right?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DGuller

:huh: Canada is one weird country.

Sophie Scholl

Your people lost the war before my country even existed Grallon.  It's time for you all to move on.  Also, see Raz and Minsky's points. :bowler:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2010, 06:20:20 PM

Right. It is a multicultural country.

QuoteThat is very clear, and something of which I was not ignortant of: namely that some francophone Quebeckers like multiculturalism when it redounds their benefit and enhances their cultural power and authority; they don't like it when it gives any recognition, respect to other communities or cultures in Canada.

Can you honestly put on the same footing a people of 7+ million with a long standing history of occupying this land with 'communities' of a few thousands or a few 10s of thousands?!

So the civil rights that should be accorded to members of a group depend on how many people are in that group? 

QuoteIt is not that surprising to see portions of a particular community in a polity desiring a privileged position and the subordination of others.  What I still haven't seen is any plausible philosophical or moral justification for such a stance.

There you go again with the unitary equation.  Think of the European Union if it will help you conceptualize what Canada really is.  Outside of Quebec I'd say that most canadians see themselves as most americans do: different from region to region but all citizens of one nation.  Quebecers however see themselves as radically different.  It's very clear for us that we live in one country and our neighboors live in another - even though we're all sharing the same area - again much like french or germans or italians are all europeans; but remain themselves within their own borders.

As for the moral justification of the stance in this particular case (and all others such) I've explained it in my previous post: this society has reached a social equilibrium between modernity and tradition.  Anything that upsets this balance need to be circumscribed.[/quote]

A)  I'm sure segregationists in the US south in the 50s and 60s would have agreed with you.

B)  No modern society is static, so the balance is always being upset.

Grallon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 12, 2010, 07:10:15 PM

Gotta be more than that, since the other provinces have the same legal standing as Quebec, right?

Legally?  It's a centralized federation with limited soveraingty subdivisions called provinces (10 + 1 territory called Nunavut).  Sociologically - there's the english part and the french part and the inuit part (although that one is fairly recent).

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Grallon

Quote from: dps on March 12, 2010, 07:21:25 PM

So the civil rights that should be accorded to members of a group depend on how many people are in that group?

Civil rights are accorded to individuals, not collectives... 

A)  I'm sure segregationists in the US south in the 50s and 60s would have agreed with you.

A) Segregationists?!?  :huh:

B) The balance should alway be determined by the majority - individuals have to fit in a society - not the other way around!  And there can only be one society - not a collection of ... colonies from sub standard cultures.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Razgovory

So if the majority feels they don't like Gays they should just be able to toss them out?  Gays aren't exactly "fitting in".  In fact they have long campaigned that the majority accept them.

I get the feeling you haven't thought this through yet.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 11:25:29 PM
Legally?  It's a centralized federation with limited soveraingty subdivisions called provinces (10 + 1 territory called Nunavut).  Sociaologically - there's the english part and the french part and the inuit part (although that one is fairly recent).

You're forgetting two places... :angry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on March 13, 2010, 01:42:19 AM
Legally?  It's a centralized federation with limited soveraingty subdivisions called provinces (10 + 1 territory called Nunavut).  Sociaologically - there's the english part and the french part and the inuit part (although that one is fairly recent).

Java and the Heliopause?

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2010, 02:56:42 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 13, 2010, 01:42:19 AM

Java and the Heliopause?

:D
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 11:30:08 PM
Quote from: dps on March 12, 2010, 07:21:25 PM

Civil rights are accorded to individuals, not collectives... 

Kind of my point

A) Segregationists?!?  :huh:

Do you not know the meaning of the term? 

QuoteB) The balance should alway be determined by the majority - individuals have to fit in a society - not the other way around!  And there can only be one society - not a collection of ... colonies from sub standard cultures.

Lord the iront. 

And so much for majority rule with respect for minority rights.

G.
[/quote]

PRC

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 11:30:08 PM
B) The balance should alway be determined by the majority - individuals have to fit in a society - not the other way around!  And there can only be one society - not a collection of ... colonies from sub standard cultures.

Quebec... bend your knee.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.