And we're back!

Main Menu

Toxic Multiculturalism

Started by Grallon, March 12, 2010, 12:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Fate on March 13, 2010, 01:55:32 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 13, 2010, 01:24:52 PM
Still haven't answered why Francophone services should be provided in Anglophone areas.

They should not. French should be forced to assimilate into the first world culture of English speaking Canadians.

If at first you don't succeed?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2010, 10:13:09 AM
The thing is, to an external observer, the Muslim insistence on wearing burkhas is equally quaint, ridiculous and silly as the Quebecois insistence on speaking French in the middle of what is essentially an English-speaker-populated landmass, stretching from the northern border of Mexico to the northern shores of America.

Just as, I assume, people speaking Polish next to a Russian giant (then or in, say, the late 19th c.), people speaking Italian in a globalized world or businessmen insisting on the respect of human rights in China.

Issues of identity or even of values, I would argue, should not and indeed, are not reducible to economic cost-benefit analysis.

As for what constitutes the court of logic and reason, you will forgive me I hope if I don't rely too much on your authority  for definition.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Young dude I met in Jamaica said cutting his dreads was a condition of employment at a hotel there.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2010, 02:50:11 PM
Young dude I met in Jamaica said cutting his dreads was a condition of employment at a hotel there.

A condition imposed by the state, or by the hotel?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 13, 2010, 12:04:45 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on March 12, 2010, 04:12:04 PM
What about yarmulkes?  Oh, wait, you Euros already solved your problem with those people.

Québec is in Europe now ?   :blink: :lol:
I was responding to a Euro poster/article about Europe.  Thanks for trying to help with my geography though. :)
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

ulmont

Admiral Yi

Quote from: dps on March 13, 2010, 04:09:55 PM
A condition imposed by the state, or by the hotel?
Door number 2.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2010, 10:13:09 AM
The thing is, to an external observer, the Muslim insistence on wearing burkhas is equally quaint, ridiculous and silly as the Quebecois insistence on speaking French in the middle of what is essentially an English-speaker-populated landmass, stretching from the northern border of Mexico to the northern shores of America.
Well I don't about the Muslim 'insistence' on wearing burkhas.  I live in probably the most Arab area of London and spend a lot of time in areas with a large South Asian Muslim community.  I've never seen a woman in a burqa.

Edit:  Hell, I've been to Morocco (which, admittedly, isn't terribly Middle-Eastern/South Asian) for a month in a few cities and I never saw a burqa.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 13, 2010, 06:53:17 PM
I live in probably the most Arab area of London and spend a lot of time in areas with a large South Asian Muslim community.

[grumbler] South African Muslim community? [/grumbler]

I never forget and I never forgive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Grallon on March 12, 2010, 07:08:20 PM
How many times must I say this!?  Canada is not *one* country - it's a federation containing at leat 2 countries (Quebec and the ROC) - 3 if you count the Nunavut.

You can say it all you want and you will be equally wrong each time.  Canada is one country; what you mean to say is that it contains more than one *nation*

I don't know whether this is a linguistic issue or just a failure to understand.

QuoteCan you honestly put on the same footing a people of 7+ million with a long standing history of occupying this land with 'communities' of a few thousands or a few 10s of thousands?!

I can.  It is this concept called equality under the law.

QuoteQuebecers however see themselves as radically different.  It's very clear for us that we live in one country and our neighboors live in another - even though we're all sharing the same area - again much like french or germans or italians are all europeans; but remain themselves within their own borders. 

Putting aside the improper usage of "country" for "nation" I don't see the relevance here.  Being very much a minority in the North American continent (and within Canada itself) one would think that Quebecers would be particularly sensitive to the practice of singling out people based on their identity for prejudicial treatment. 

QuoteAs for the moral justification of the stance in this particular case (and all others such) I've explained it in my previous post: this society has reached a social equilibrium between modernity and tradition.  Anything that upsets this balance need to be circumscribed.

Societies don't reach equlibria because time has a very bad habit of not standing still. 
And *people* are not objects to be circumscribed.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 13, 2010, 07:33:42 AM
As for the rest, we've had this discussion many times already and I don't see what will be different this time... the snickering, claims of "irony" and retreats to moral highgrounds will be the same and will prevent any meaningful discussion in favor of making political points.

When I see claims like:
QuoteIf the bitch wants to integrate she can start by taking off her 'slave collar'.   

adopting a snickering pose and claiming "irony" is a grossly understated approach.
In such a situation, there is no need to "retreat" to the moral highground; the ethical topography as it lies is clear enough.

I understand why Quebeckers expect and demand cultural understanding and sensitivity from others; it should not be too much the ask that those who make such demands abide by that principle themselves.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Grallon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 14, 2010, 12:46:41 PM

I can.  It is this concept called equality under the law.

I see you insist on condusing individual rights with collective rights.  Not much left to discuss then. 

Societies don't reach equlibria because time has a very bad habit of not standing still. 
And *people* are not objects to be circumscribed.

People's rights can and are circumscribed all the time.  As you said above, it's called 'equality under the law'.  In this case, the law states that no one shall appear masked in a classroom.

As for social concensus, the majority here is in agreement that while individuals are free to practice whatever religion they choose - they are not free to impose those superstition on others.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Oexmelin

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 14, 2010, 12:52:14 PM
adopting a snickering pose and claiming "irony" is a grossly understated approach.
In such a situation, there is no need to "retreat" to the moral highground; the ethical topography as it lies is clear enough.

I understand why Quebeckers expect and demand cultural understanding and sensitivity from others; it should not be too much the ask that those who make such demands abide by that principle themselves.

My point is mostly that there is enough (or should be enough) in Grallon's ideas to supply the matter of his refutation, without bringing in Quebec's peculiar political situation (let's call it nation-without-a-state) - or indeed, a sweeping reading of what Quebec is or is about. I disagree with Grallon on most topics, and that makes neither I nor he self-hating quebeckers. If people want to argue about Quebec's situation, they are free to do so - and as stated I will abstain from participating in the repetition; it is the link between Grallon's stance and what people percieve Quebec's situation is that I disagree with.

This latter point is the one where the snickering and posturing is tiring - just like most Americans on the board react strongly - or would react strongly - if all discussion of cultural issues started with the seemingly self-evident truth that Americans are uncultured and anti-intellectual.
Que le grand cric me croque !

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on March 14, 2010, 03:13:37 PM
My point is mostly that there is enough (or should be enough) in Grallon's ideas to supply the matter of his refutation, without bringing in Quebec's peculiar political situation (let's call it nation-without-a-state) - or indeed, a sweeping reading of what Quebec is or is about.

My reaction is the same as when I see Irish-Americans or American Jews railing against immigration.  The fact the a historic victim of a certain form of oppression becomes a cheerleader of it once they are on top may not affect the underlying equities, but it does stick harder in the craw.

Quoteis latter point is the one where the snickering and posturing is tiring - just like most Americans on the board react strongly - or would react strongly - if all discussion of cultural issues started with the seemingly self-evident truth that Americans are uncultured and anti-intellectual.

That point does seem to come out in many cultural discussions . . .
--Joan Robinson