News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Neptune's Pride

Started by FunkMonk, March 11, 2010, 11:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisturbedPervert

And I would have liked to see your contingency plan, would have been a more interesting game

Berkut

I don't really get why people quit so easily.

Kleves has had me beat since the game practically started, and I think I am having more fun being annoying as I can be to him while slowly losing than I did mopping up everyone in Languish I.

And certainly Languish I would have been a very different game if the people I crushed had made it their mission to make my life miserable, instead of just stopping once I attacked them. Hell, Grey Fox could have really screwed me up.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 10, 2010, 03:07:27 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 02:50:18 PM
Says the man who's defence of his homeland was so passive that I took some serious risks in my advance! :)

:rolleyes:

You know that's not true.  There came a point where I could no longer resist militarily.  Other than to save up as many resources and tech as I could and send them to someone else.

The players that quit all stopped when they were still powers.

:rolleyes: my foot. It's actually true.

On at least three occasions I sent a fleet out that you could have converged on and destroyed if you'd concentrated defensively or been willing to build a couple more carriers.

As another example, let us consider the ships you left to die at Kleeia. I even told you they would die, with the mathematics for all possible outcomes. You had three options. Leave a ship behind to bleed me and retreat to concentrate your forces, jump beyond my own fleet knowing you were in range of Tamas' old core systems (hence they would be likely to be valuable and well developed) having seen where the ships had come from that I was using to retake Kleeia, or stand fast and die, losing a carrier to no good purpose. Remind me, which option did you pick?

You could have added at least 48 hours to my conquest of your territory, at a bare minimum. That wouldn't have helped Fireblade since he jumped ship, but Kleves would have thanked you...given the juggernaught that's heading his way...
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 10, 2010, 03:09:30 PM
And I would have liked to see your contingency plan, would have been a more interesting game

Well, part (a) involved the location of the major fleet concentration that was not deployed against you (that Fireblade could not see, but that was in strike range of our mutual border) and Grumbler. Part (b)...well, that's a secret... ;)

There is one thing I have noticed this game. Most players seem to use their carriers fairly inefficiently. Mine are continually in motion, save for the occasional nodal frontier force, shuttling up reinforcements (it was one of those regular reinforcing fleets that caught you at 3rd Alwaid, for example - it had started off at Arneb in the far west of my Empire and had picked up ships at half a dozen stars on the way.) But on all sides I've seen players not building enough carriers, or leaving them sitting pointlessly in frontier systems, or generally, just leaving them stationary. I find it strange.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

DisturbedPervert

Agelastus, you're taking this way too seriously.   I know it bothers you but chill out, I fought you as well as I could, and you are not responsible for people leaving.

DisturbedPervert

And even if I made bad decisions, I never left the game

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 10, 2010, 04:20:11 PM
Agelastus, you're taking this way too seriously.   I know it bothers you but chill out, I fought you as well as I could, and you are not responsible for people leaving.

I always take my online games seriously.  :P

That's why I do not play very often; I am a very bad loser, which is why I go down taking as many of the bastards with me when I do. I was 100% serious in my post about how much longer you could have held me up.

And Kleves really should be cursing right around now... :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on April 10, 2010, 04:23:05 PM
And even if I made bad decisions, I never left the game

I know. :hug:

And it is appreciated, believe me.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

FunkMonk

Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 02:50:18 PM

I'll probably skip the chance of another game, though; Funkmonk kind of fibbed when he said one only had to log in once or twice a day. There have been periods where I've been checking the game every 10 minutes, and letting it interrupt my sleep because of when the payment period was in the game, my time.

Yeah. In Game 1 I was logging in at least four or five times a day when I was fighting Habbaku. I didn't realize how fast events would occur after developing high enough levels of Fleet Speed, Range, and Scanners.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Kleves

Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 04:29:25 PM
Is there any point to continuing? Is anyone besides you, Berkut, and I even playing?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Agelastus

Quote from: Kleves on April 10, 2010, 04:39:31 PM
Quote from: Agelastus on April 10, 2010, 04:29:25 PM
Is there any point to continuing? Is anyone besides you, Berkut, and I even playing?

Jaron is. I would imagine that if he hadn't gone to that wedding he'd be deep into Fireblade's space by now, so I'll forgive him his inactivity the last couple of days. Not that it would have helped your position, since I could still have decided to turn south given where the natural "stop-lines" are in that region of the map.

And Funkmonk's still logging in. He's got more ships than anybody but the worst weapons tech, and that's hamstinging him, I think. He certainly can't attack Jaron, and may be reluctant to finish off Fireblade given the way Fireblade's rump is shielding him from me.

I'd watch your own rear, if I were you... :menace:
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Agelastus

Reports from the front lines indicate that Klevesian forces have suffered two devastating defeats at Tarazet and Menkib. Thus do we Agelastans show our dedication and loyalty to our friends!
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Berkut

The Klevian Reich is disintigrating under the inevitable counter-strike of Berkutian forces, just as we predicted back when they initially betrayed us with their attack.

Throughout this fight, we have endeavored to end the war of aggression, and warned Heir Reichsmarshal Kleves that his war of agression would end in the destruction of his nation under the weight of allied counter-attacks, but he refused to listen.

I would be interested in a game with some rather different conditions.

1. Start weapons tech off at a relatively high level (say 6 or 7), then make the cost to increase it VERY expensive.
2. Is there anyway to make the stars "cluster" more?
3. If you could cluster the stars more, gimp scanning range so it is hard to get enough scanning to see the next cluster over. Add a little unknown to sending off that fleet...

Other suggestions?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jaron

Damn it, someone wake up and help me fight off Agelastus.

Send me tech or something.

If we ever play this again we need a house rule of no attacking AIs or something. It just upsets the game too much. An even better rule would be not to commit to the game if you aren't going to play.  :glare:
Winner of THE grumbler point.