BREAKING: Vermont legalizes same-sex marriage

Started by Caliga, April 07, 2009, 11:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Berkut on April 09, 2009, 08:52:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2009, 08:48:52 AM
THE DOOR'S WIDE OPEN!

Not really, but there is certainly an obvious sense of inevitability about this.

I've always thought that the result was inevitable - but now it is obviously so.
I think it means it's not possible until 2014 at the earliest.  Which means a constitutional amendment seems rather unlikely :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on April 09, 2009, 03:08:29 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2009, 11:35:07 AM
To some degree.  Then again, the Nazis and Fascists were right:  Communism must be destroyed at any cost.

And, of course, did more than anyone else to make it as threatening and powerful as it was.
I disagree.  The Russians made communism threatening and powerful.  Remember, from it's inception, the whole purpose of communism was mass slaughter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on April 09, 2009, 07:43:42 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 09, 2009, 06:49:50 AM
"OH MAH GAWD NO GAYZ GETTIN MARRIED THREATENS MAH FAMURLY!!!! :mad: "

A storm is coming, our storm, and when it arrives it will shake the country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp76ly2_NoI

That kind of commercial assures that we will have gay marriage. Who is going to take that seriously?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2009, 03:57:54 PM

That kind of commercial assures that we will have gay marriage. Who is going to take that seriously?
Indeed.  A proper anti-gay commercial would use quotes from most of the Languish gays, proving to the world that there can be no peaceful coexistance.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Caliga

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2009, 03:57:54 PMThat kind of commercial assures that we will have gay marriage. Who is going to take that seriously?

Especially considering the fact that most of the guys in that video were FUH-LAMING!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on April 09, 2009, 03:59:31 PM

Indeed.  A proper anti-gay commercial would use quotes from most of the Languish gays, proving to the world that there can be no peaceful coexistance.
Well, I'm open to serious financial offers.  :P

Scipio

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2009, 03:20:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 08, 2009, 03:17:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2009, 03:13:16 PM

the missus doesn't have hillbilly blood. Kraut and Irish, yes.

me, I have the hillbilly blood.

Ewwww the Irish!

So fiery. Yeah. Going to the motherland in July, to curse the English and praise her (supposed) ancestor, Wolfe Tone.

Erin Go Braugh.

Erin go braless?
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

DontSayBanana

On a slightly more serious note, I know the USSC has deliberately been staying out of this, citing marriage as a state-to-state issue, but at some point they're going to have to address the agenda of legislating homophobia. The only reason Prop 8 succeeded was because they could hide behind it as a populist measure, and not be forced to provide rationale for the proposition.
Experience bij!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on April 09, 2009, 04:52:18 PM

Well, I'm open to serious financial offers.  :P
Your Languish posts are public domain.

dps

Quote from: DontSayBanana on April 09, 2009, 09:08:30 PM
On a slightly more serious note, I know the USSC has deliberately been staying out of this, citing marriage as a state-to-state issue, but at some point they're going to have to address the agenda of legislating homophobia. The only reason Prop 8 succeeded was because they could hide behind it as a populist measure, and not be forced to provide rationale for the proposition.

Yeah, simply because of the "full faith and credit" clause, sooner or later the USSC will have to weigh in.

I'm not sure that I understand your second sentence.  By definition, isn't any proposition that succeeds in those states that have them a populist measure?

garbon

We could probably use Languish quotes to justify hating many groups.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2009, 10:12:47 PM

We could probably use Languish quotes to justify hating many groups.

But we could probably only use Neil's quotes to get a hate crime conviction.

Maybe Lettow too, but then he is insane and in the US, so probably just Neil.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2009, 10:16:49 PM

Hatred of whites wouldn't be too hard to justify...in so far as one can justify hatred. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: dps on April 09, 2009, 09:59:23 PM
Yeah, simply because of the "full faith and credit" clause, sooner or later the USSC will have to weigh in.

I'm not sure that I understand your second sentence.  By definition, isn't any proposition that succeeds in those states that have them a populist measure?

By definition, yes. What I'm complaining about is that in this particular case, it's setting a precedent for using voter propositions to circumvent checks and balances, so that they could force legislative action that would not be otherwise passable. If voter props are going to be treated as legislation, they need to be subject to the same standards and review as any other legislation to be passed.
Experience bij!

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2009, 10:18:12 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on April 09, 2009, 10:16:49 PM

Hatred of whites wouldn't be too hard to justify...in so far as one can justify hatred. :P

I think Neil classifies himself as, "ethnic albertan." :D