News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Seems to still be some difficulty...

Started by Baron von Schtinkenbutt, March 10, 2009, 09:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Well, it seems the new board is back....

...trouble is, its not the version I wanted up.  The "other" board preserved everything from the IPB forum except the posts themselves.  It also had the explanation of what happened.  I'm in the middle of figuring out what's what on the new server.

Grey Fox

QuoteWell, my hand was forced.  The SCSI drive on the old server appears to be near death, if not there already.  I had this SMF forum set up from what of the Languish database I could convert.  Its as good a starting point as any.

I still have the data from the drive, I just can't get the drive to stay up for more than 10-15 minutes.  If anyone is really in love with the old board I can clone the data back onto a spare IDE drive I have kicking around somewhere.

BTW, everyone's account is still usable; no need to re-register
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Well, at least things are getting settled.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Well, the "wrong" board came up because everyone's cached index page from the old server is directing them to the wrong one.

I'll get back to tweaking server-side stuff now. :P

Neil

Well, there's no point in getting too settled, if we're just going to be going back.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Its more going to the old framework, not really "going back", but yeah, don't get too settled into this particular forum, unless everyone ends up liking it better.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

My personal preference is to go back, although I realize that may not be possible.

Thanks for letting us use this, vM.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 10, 2009, 10:30:00 PM
How the heck does that happen?
There is an SMF 1.1 forum and an SMF 2.0 forum (this one), both of which are up and operational.  The index page from the old server points to this one, by coincidence.  Once people's caches start updating with the new root index file the other forum will become "the" forum.  The other one is the one with all of the transferred user data.

lustindarkness

If you can make it work with the transfered "stuff" that would be great, but if not, I guess we'll just deal with it. Thank you.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grey Fox

Quote from: vonmoltke on March 10, 2009, 10:43:19 PM
There is an SMF 1.1 forum and an SMF 2.0 forum (this one), both of which are up and operational.  The index page from the old server points to this one, by coincidence.  Once people's caches start updating with the new root index file the other forum will become "the" forum.  The other one is the one with all of the transferred user data.

What about the fact that the "other" forum doesn't seem to load properly?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 11, 2009, 06:16:26 AM

It indeed looks pretty broken.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Syt on March 11, 2009, 06:32:35 AM

It indeed looks pretty broken.
Indeed.  Plus the permission masks are all shot to hell, from the looks of it.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

I haven't gotten that far yet.

KRonn

Vm, Thanks for your efforts in sorting this all out and getting things back running.

:)