News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Anciently Named Person?

Started by Malthus, March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

As a follow-up to the Biblical thread, a question for the Languish historians: who is the person who lived the longest time ago, for whom there is good evidence that they actually existed (as opposed to purely legendary or mythological characters) - for whom we can actually put a (contemporary) name?

My own suggestion is Egyptian King Narmer (aprox. 32nd century BC):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narmer

Is there anyone who lived yet longer ago, whom we can name?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM
As a follow-up to the Biblical thread, a question for the Languish historians: who is the person who lived the longest time ago, for whom there is good evidence that they actually existed (as opposed to purely legendary or mythological characters) - for whom we can actually put a (contemporary) name?

Namor of the Atlantean Empire!

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

I was going to say Narmer, Malthus.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

just read up on Narmer. i like that his name can translate roughly to fish staber.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 02, 2010, 07:32:50 PM
Namor of the Atlantean Empire!
Namor is hardly over 100.  What's wrong with you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

Enmebaragesi - the earliest king on ther Sumerian Kings list for whom there is independant archeological evidence he actually existed.  Althought it sounds like Narmer was earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enmebaragesi

edit: and according to the article perhaps Gilgamesh himself...

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2010, 09:12:11 PM
Enmebaragesi - the earliest king on ther Sumerian Kings list for whom there is independant archeological evidence he actually existed.  Althought it sounds like Narmer was earlier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enmebaragesi

edit: and according to the article perhaps Gilgamesh himself...

A curious position for you to take considering the ones you took in the previous thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM

That's easy: Adam.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"