News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Anciently Named Person?

Started by Malthus, March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Don't think there is anyone in Chinese history older than that.  The most ancient named Chinese rulers were mostly mythical beings, and there is no credible evidence to support their existance.  The oldest "believable" existance of a named Chinese ruler is around 1,000 BC. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM
As a follow-up to the Biblical thread, a question for the Languish historians: who is the person who lived the longest time ago, for whom there is good evidence that they actually existed (as opposed to purely legendary or mythological characters) - for whom we can actually put a (contemporary) name?

My own suggestion is Egyptian King Narmer (aprox. 32nd century BC):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narmer

Is there anyone who lived yet longer ago, whom we can name?
Serious answer, King Scorpion, or alternately if that's just an alias of Narmer, than his mother Shesh I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Scorpion

Or the predynatistic Ka?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ka_%28pharaoh%29

Ka ruled over Abydos in the late 32nd or early 31st century BCE and was buried at Umm el-Qa'ab. He most likely was the immediate successor to Iry-Hor and was succeeded by Narmer[2]. He is the earliest known Egyptian king with a serekh, inscribed on a number of artefacts [3].
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

grumbler is going to waltz in here and declare this thread invalid pretty soon if someone doesn't start citing better sources than wikipedia.  :yuk:
Winner of THE grumbler point.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jaron on March 02, 2010, 10:39:27 PM
grumbler is going to waltz in here and declare this thread invalid pretty soon if someone doesn't start citing better sources than wikipedia.  :yuk:
I don't think anyone mistakes this thread for a scientifically accurate survey of early dynastic figures.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Siege on March 02, 2010, 10:21:09 PM
That's easy: Adam.

If "because I read it in a book" won't fly for any other argument, what makes you think it'll work for this one?
Experience bij!

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

I think PDH has a repressed crush on Tim and will end up murdering him one day.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

Think I remember this right. An Egyptologist who led a trip I went on was into alternative comparative chronology. Through applying new carbon dating techniques and matching Biblical to Egyptian chronologies, he reckoned Shishaq was in fact Ramses II (the great), backed up by the name in Hebrew closely matching one of his titles in Egyptian. There's evidence he lived to 90 or 91, which would put him in contention.

Applying the same techniques, the Egyptologist reckoned he'd found the tomb of pharaoh-botherer Joseph, and showed us a tablet of an adviser interpreting a pharaoh's dream of skinny and fat cattle.

Josquius

Quote from: Monoriu on March 02, 2010, 10:22:40 PM
Don't think there is anyone in Chinese history older than that.  The most ancient named Chinese rulers were mostly mythical beings, and there is no credible evidence to support their existance.  The oldest "believable" existance of a named Chinese ruler is around 1,000 BC. 
Its the Chinese' own fault for going all 1984 on their pre-unification history <_<
██████
██████
██████

PDH

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2010, 03:06:30 AM
I think PDH has a repressed crush on Tim and will end up murdering him one day.
It IS a love-hate relationship. I love to hate him.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM