And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Anciently Named Person?

Started by Malthus, March 02, 2010, 07:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 03, 2010, 08:40:45 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2010, 03:06:30 AM
I think PDH has a repressed crush on Tim and will end up murdering him one day.
It IS a love-hate relationship. I love to hate him.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 02, 2010, 09:19:14 PM
The wizard SHAZAM!

Vandal fucking Savage.

Or the Phantom Stranger, if I remember one of his origins correctly.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Ideologue on March 03, 2010, 11:51:57 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 02, 2010, 09:19:14 PM
The wizard SHAZAM!

Vandal fucking Savage.

Or the Phantom Stranger, if I remember one of his origins correctly.
True. Savage would probably be it. Or maybe Apocalypse. 

Was the Stranger even human?
PDH!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Tyr on March 03, 2010, 06:04:02 AM
Its the Chinese' own fault for going all 1984 on their pre-unification history <_<

They've held regular book-burnings since the beginning of time. The Empire, once divided, must unite. Once united, must divide.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Neil

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 04, 2010, 10:59:51 AM
True. Savage would probably be it. Or maybe Apocalypse. 

Was the Stranger even human?
Apocalypse is much younger than Savage.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

Narmer and Menes may be legendary; a conversative approach might eschew the early dynastic period for this purpose.  Which would make Djoser the first securely indentifiable Egyptian.  Enmebaragesi is around the same time period, depending on how the dating is done.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 05, 2010, 11:13:27 AM
Narmer and Menes may be legendary; a conversative approach might eschew the early dynastic period for this purpose.  Which would make Djoser the first securely indentifiable Egyptian.  Enmebaragesi is around the same time period, depending on how the dating is done.
:huh: Why do you think Narmer might be legendary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2010, 12:38:30 PM

There is some debate about whether the Narmer palette is supposed to represent contemporaneous events or legendary events that happened before the time it was created.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 05, 2010, 01:41:54 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 05, 2010, 12:38:30 PM

There is some debate about whether the Narmer palette is supposed to represent contemporaneous events or legendary events that happened before the time it was created.

You may find this interesting:

http://www.anthro.ucsd.edu/~tlevy/Archaeology_in_the_Levant/Nahal_Tillah_Publications.html

QuoteThe New Narmer Serekh for the Halif Terrace

From the Chalcolithic through the beginning of the Early Bronze Age, in southern Canaan there is evidence for a slow but steady increase in trade and exchange with Egypt (e.g., Joffee 1993; Stager 1992). This process crystallizes in the late EB I with evidence of royal trade and exchange based mostly on the presence of Egyptian style clay cylinder seal impressions (bullae) and incised serekh signs. To date there are ca. 18 incised serekh-signs which have been found in Israel, only three of which could be positively identified with Narmer (cf. Amiran 1974; Brandl 1992:447; van den Brink, in press, in prep). In fact, two of the ìnamelessî or anonymous serekhs come from the Halif Terrace (cf. Gophna 1972; Seger et al 1990:5, fig. 4; van den Brink, in prep; ). Thus, the serekh present here is not a surprise per se . However, a combination of factors make the Silo Site serekh of special interest. Firstly, most of the known serekhs from Israel are either in too fragmentary a state of preservation or contain anonymous signs. The Silo Site example can be unambiguously attributed to a known king - Horus Narmer. Secondly, unlike most of the other serekh-signs, the sample presented here comes from a stratigraphically controlled context.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 03, 2010, 08:48:51 AM
Quote from: PDH on March 03, 2010, 08:40:45 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on March 03, 2010, 03:06:30 AM
I think PDH has a repressed crush on Tim and will end up murdering him one day.
It IS a love-hate relationship. I love to hate him.

He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Wow, Linda Evans really didn't age well.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Brazen on March 03, 2010, 04:22:47 AM
Think I remember this right. An Egyptologist who led a trip I went on was into alternative comparative chronology. Through applying new carbon dating techniques and matching Biblical to Egyptian chronologies, he reckoned Shishaq was in fact Ramses II (the great), backed up by the name in Hebrew closely matching one of his titles in Egyptian.

That would date the post-Solomonic kingdoms to the height of New Kingdom Egypt (ie 13th century BCE or so).
Alternative is a one way to characterize that hypothesis.  Other words would be "idiosyncratic" or simply "wacky".

For that chronology to work, either New Kingdom Egypt has to be moved forward several centuries, or a bunch of Israelite monarchs would have had Methluslan life spans or we would have to be missing a whole bunch of kings.

A more common claim is to tie Ramses II or a near contemporary pharoah to the exodus story.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Spellus hasn't posted in this thread yet?  :huh:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points