Security Storms Infinity Ward, Activision Investigating "Insubordination"

Started by Syt, March 02, 2010, 01:26:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/702911/Security-Appears-Unannounced-At-Infinity-Ward-Studio-Heads-Missing-Staff-Freaked-Out-.html

QuoteUPDATE 12:02 AM: Double Fine's Tim Schafer, who had his own troubles with Activision over the release of Brutal Legend, recently commented on Twitter about what's happening between Infinity Ward and Activision.

"Getting mad at Activision for this kind of thing is like getting mad at an ape for throwing feces," said Schafer. "It's just how the beast communicates."

UPDATE 11:20 PM: It turns out Activision may have showed their hand in this matter earlier today.

In an SEC filing made this morning, Activision cited a human resources investigation into "breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward."

Based on the information we currently have, at least one of those employees may have included Infinity Ward CTO Jason West. It's possible Vince Zampella is the other unmentioned employee.

"This matter is expected to involve the departure of key personnel and litigation," read the filing. "At present, the Company does not expect this matter to have a material impact on the Company."

UPDATE 11:11 PM: Infinity Ward community manager Robert Bowling has vaguely addressed the situation.

"I should also say, while I appreciate all the calls, tweets, messages and hearing my ringtone a lot," said Bowling on his Twitter account, "they're in vain - as I have no info."

UPDATE 10:07 PM: More developments on the situation at Infinity Ward have come to light.

A screen shot surfaced from Infinity Ward CTO Jason West's Facebook page at Kotaku with the status update "Jason West is drinking. Also, unemployed." I can confirm from a source that's friends with West that update did actually come from West's account.

West also updated his Linkedin profile to appears to reflect a change in employment.

"President/Game Director/CCO/CTO Infinity Ward
January 2001 – March 2010 (9 years 3 months)"

While this doesn't yet provide much insight into what actually happened at Infinity Ward, it confirms there are changes afoot at the Call of Duty developer. As soon as I know more, you'll know more.

UPDATE: Security Appears Unannounced At Infinity Ward, Studio Heads Missing, Staff

ORIGINAL STORY: Something's happening at Infinity Ward right now.

A source close to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 developer just informed me that a "bunch of bouncer-types" just showed up outside of the Infinity Ward offices unannounced. When approached by employees, the non-uniformed "bouncers" were unwilling to disclose why they were there.

"Everyone is on edge," said my source.

Infinity Ward studio heads Vince Zampella and Jason West reportedly met with Activision this morning and have not been seen by Infinity Ward staff members since. My source did not delve into specifics, but described the relationship between Infinity Ward and Activision lately as "tense."

The mood around the Infinity Ward offices is currently described as "freaked out" and "confused."

"We just wanna make our games," said my source.

I've contacted Activision for comment on the ongoing situation at Infinity Ward. Stay tuned.

:tinfoil:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Going to take more then insubordination to redeem yourself, West.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

lustindarkness

from another forum:

Quote...Firstly, it seems the developers haven't received any royalties for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 yet; a game that has earned Activision over $1 billion in revenue thus far. Maybe it's just a contractual thing and IW isn't supposed to receive any royalties just yet, but we can't be sure. Secondly, although Activision owns Infinity Ward, the development studio is technically autonomous; they're merely held in place by a contract that expires in October. The problem seems to revolve around the Call of Duty franchise: Activision may want the rights to the name but Infinity Ward holds them. If IW doesn't want to do a Modern Warfare 3, Activision probably does and needs another developer...hence, they need those rights.

The last part is downright nasty- according to recent SEC paperwork filed by Activision, there were "breaches of contract and insubordination by two senior employees at Infinity Ward." An inside source believes IW may have been in talks with a "rival publisher," which is likely the breach Activision is claiming. Interestingly enough, come October when the Acti/IW contract dissolves, Infinity Ward could hire Zampella and West back. Maybe they'll just take a little vacation for now...? Anyway, we're certain there's more to this story but we'll let it lie for now until either party comes forward with something official.

Full Read: http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6688.html
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Alcibiades

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

lustindarkness

All this drama, maybe they are all gay.

QuoteJason West and Vince Zampella, the men at the centre of this week's drama at Call of Duty developers Infinity Ward, have filed suit against Activision over claims they are owed "substantial royalty payments".

http://kotaku.com/5485295/infinity-ward-founders-suing-activision-over-unpaid-royalties
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Jaron

Quote from: Martinus on March 04, 2010, 04:33:37 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 04, 2010, 03:09:35 PM
Quote from: viper37 on March 04, 2010, 01:50:18 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 04, 2010, 01:39:57 PM
Send me a PM.
he said bouncers, not lawyers.
Lawyers bounce.  If you drop them from high enough.

I thought they go splat instead. Just watch the 911 footage.

:huh: What kind of a man incorporates America's national tragedy into a joke?
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Martinus