News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Modern RTS with random maps for skirmish?

Started by The Brain, February 26, 2010, 01:24:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Seems to me that most modern RTSs forgot to include random maps for skirmish. Anyone know of a modern RTS which does include random maps (without having to mod)?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

chipwich

The Brain

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on March 01, 2010, 03:23:55 PM
What is unclear (non-rhetorical)?

If I was to hazard a guess it would be he is thinking about pre-designed maps that are selected for play in a random fashion rather then what I think you are talking about which is a map which is created with random features.

To answer your question, I am not aware of any but if there was such a thing I would like to know about it as well.

The Brain

I am indeed thinking about maps being randomly generated, often with adjustable parameters (size, amount of hills etc etc). IIRC it was pretty standard practice in the 90s and I hate that it has kinda disappeared. I played a lot of Tiberian Sun that way, didn't really care about campaigns.

Randomly selecting pre-made maps I can manage without software support.

Syt

Was all I ever played in Age of Kings. Good times.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: The Brain on March 02, 2010, 02:12:58 PM
I am indeed thinking about maps being randomly generated, often with adjustable parameters (size, amount of hills etc etc). IIRC it was pretty standard practice in the 90s and I hate that it has kinda disappeared. I played a lot of Tiberian Sun that way, didn't really care about campaigns.

Randomly selecting pre-made maps I can manage without software support.

I don't think they make games like that anymore.  Supreme Commander might have that.  I never liked it though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

chipwich