Clueless Woman Calls Tech Show When Her Stolen Wi-Fi Disappears

Started by jimmy olsen, February 27, 2010, 12:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Yeah, an extremely patient and non-malicious guy. He would not fit in on Languish. :P

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:55:48 AM
Yeah, an extremely patient and non-malicious guy.

Well you have to be to work a helpdesk for longer than a month, I guess. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 03:55:48 AM
Yeah, an extremely patient and non-malicious guy. He would not fit in on Languish. :P
Yes, now lets all imagine what would have happened if she called into CdM's techline.  :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Its illegal to use unsecured wifi?

QuoteYeah, an extremely patient and non-malicious guy. He would not fit in on Languish. :P

I dunno, he,s not outright going 'you damn moron' but he's seeming a little bit snarky and talking down to her about it.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2010, 07:39:27 AM

Why wouldn't it be? I mean obviously you would need to have mens rea (i.e. not think it's some public service wifi) but other than that, hooking up to someone else's private unsecured network is like walking into someone else's home when they leave the door unlocked. It might be not "breaking and entering" but it definitely is "unlawful entry".

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2010, 07:39:27 AM
:lmfao:
QuoteYeah, an extremely patient and non-malicious guy. He would not fit in on Languish. :P

I dunno, he,s not outright going 'you damn moron' but he's seeming a little bit snarky and talking down to her about it.
Could it be because she is indeed a damn moron, and he's just a nice guy?

Your first clue should have been that she thought buying a wifi extender would fix the problem.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on February 27, 2010, 07:50:14 AM
Why wouldn't it be? I mean obviously you would need to have mens rea (i.e. not think it's some public service wifi) but other than that, hooking up to someone else's private unsecured network is like walking into someone else's home when they leave the door unlocked. It might be not "breaking and entering" but it definitely is "unlawful entry".

Sure, it makes sense that way but still, its radio waves (or....something. Science fail probally). You're just picking up and transmitting on a unencrypted channel- I know decrypting is illegal but I've never heard anything about accessing open channels being illegal.
Which is odd considering how common accessing other people's wifi is. There should have been some cases if it truly is illegal.
██████
██████
██████

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on February 27, 2010, 04:07:09 AM
Well you have to be to work a helpdesk for longer than a month, I guess. :D

I have done this and I'm not patient or non-malicious.  To be fair I only lasted three months as the help desk dude though.  :P

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Tyr on February 27, 2010, 08:17:21 AM
Sure, it makes sense that way but still, its radio waves (or....something. Science fail probally). You're just picking up and transmitting on a unencrypted channel- I know decrypting is illegal but I've never heard anything about accessing open channels being illegal.
Which is odd considering how common accessing other people's wifi is. There should have been some cases if it truly is illegal.

Presumption of privacy.  Places offering public WiFi typically leave a sign or somesuch notification.  No sign, assume it's private.  The thing with home networks is most work on the technique of MAC address cloning to get around a single-unit ISP restriction; if illegal activity takes place on your home network, then it looks for all intents and purposes like the activity originated from your main computer (unless you do some major digging, which somebody doing the investigating might not know to do).
Experience bij!

grumbler

I'd be surprised if it were illegal to use someone else's unencrypted signal.  That's like saying it is illegal to listen to the music coming from someone else's stereo.  If one wants to prevent another person from using one's wifi signal, then one can take steps to make sure that doesn't happen.  The onus, though, by rights should be on the owner of the signal to keep others from using it, if that is desired.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on February 27, 2010, 12:04:12 PM
I'd be surprised if it were illegal to use someone else's unencrypted signal.  That's like saying it is illegal to listen to the music coming from someone else's stereo.  If one wants to prevent another person from using one's wifi signal, then one can take steps to make sure that doesn't happen.  The onus, though, by rights should be on the owner of the signal to keep others from using it, if that is desired.

The owner of a personal network is able to take steps, but it would be foolhardy in the extreme to penalize private network owners for lacking the knowledge required to secure a personal network; a large number simply have a router because they use a laptop and don't want to have to leave it wired in a single location to the modem.

Here's some relevant statutes that tend toward including WiFi leeching as "hacking:"
http://www.ncsl.org/default.aspx?tabid=13494
Experience bij!