Clueless Woman Calls Tech Show When Her Stolen Wi-Fi Disappears

Started by jimmy olsen, February 27, 2010, 12:05:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Also, an unauthorized access to network notwithstanding, wouldn't the woman's behavior have all elements of "service appropriation" (like riding on a bus without a ticket for example), assuming of course it was deliberate?

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2010, 06:20:11 PM
As a prosecutor if the police presented me with such a charge I believe we would decline to prosecute for lack of public interest.

Well that's a public policy decision and in Poland such behaviour wouldn't be prosecuted for the same reason but that does not change the fact whether it has all the elements of a criminalized behaviour or not. So your answer is really a cop out.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2010, 04:56:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 03:49:21 AM
It may pain you to know this, but at least in Canada, it is not against the law to open your unlocked door when you are not home, pull a book off your bookshelf, read it, then place it back on the shelf and leave.

Really? That's strange. In Poland we have a crime which is called something like "invasion of home's peace" (hard to translate as it is an old Polish word). This is obviously a smaller crime than breaking and entering, but essentially, entering someone's home without permission would be a crime.

We have an offence of forcible entry:

QuoteA person commits forcible entry when that person enters real property that is in the actual and peaceable possession of another in a manner that is likely to cause a breach of the peace or reasonable apprehension of a breach of the peace.

but note the element of "in a manner that is likely to cause a breach of the peace".  So barging in, yelling, would probably be a s. 72 offense, but not calmly walking in.

Many jurisdictions have a regulatory offence of trespass to property, but that is not a crime.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2010, 05:42:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2010, 06:20:11 PM
As a prosecutor if the police presented me with such a charge I believe we would decline to prosecute for lack of public interest.

Well that's a public policy decision and in Poland such behaviour wouldn't be prosecuted for the same reason but that does not change the fact whether it has all the elements of a criminalized behaviour or not. So your answer is really a cop out.

Not every legal theoretical needs to be answered.

Besides, does Polish law not have an equivalent to de minimus non curat lex?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.