News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Myanmar troops 'torturing women'

Started by Savonarola, February 25, 2010, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

QuoteMyanmar troops 'torturing women' 

Myanmar's military government says its soldiers are engaged in anti-terrorist operations [EPA] 

Female members of Myanmar's minority Karen ethnic group are being gang-raped, tortured and murdered by government troops, a report by a local rights has said.

The Karen Women Organisation says women who assume the role of village chief in the hope they are less likely to be abused than their male counterparts are now themselves being targeted.

There has been no independent verification of their claims.

In its report the group claims the atrocities are being committed as part of the military's effort to end the Karen's 60-year guerrilla war.

In some incidents it said women had been crucified and then had their throats slit.

The report quoted one female village chief, 51 year old Daw Way Way, who said taking on the role had been "similar to digging my own grave".

Like a third of the 95 women interviewed for the report, Daw Way Way said she was tortured by Myanmar government soldiers during her tenure.

According to the report the abuse often occurred as soldiers questioned villagers about their suspected ties to insurgents of the Karen National Union.

"Some of the villagers were arrested whilst working on their farms, they were tied up, crucified and finally had their throats cut," said Naw Pee Sit, another village chief who was beaten after being accused of such connections.

Although the UN and other organisations have documented similar atrocities against Myanmar's ethnic minorities, the country's military government has repeatedly denied allegations of abuses, saying its soldiers are only engaged in anti-terrorist operations.

Apparently Dick Cheney now writes speeches for the Myanmar Government.  I'm glad he's found work.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

It's amazing how Myanmar's government has been flying under the radar for so many years, at least relatively speaking.  I guess their genius lies in not having a single face to associate with the atrocities they regularly commit.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2010, 11:54:27 AM
It's amazing how Myanmar's government has been flying under the radar for so many years, at least relatively speaking.  I guess their genius lies in not having a single face to associate with the atrocities they regularly commit.

The Burmese people need better PR teams.
Hell, look at the Jews: 60 years after the holocaust, and they're still reminding everyone. That's the kind of proactive attitude that gets international sympathy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Malthus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2010, 12:05:44 PM

Hell, look at the Jews: 60 years after the holocaust, and they're still reminding everyone. That's the kind of proactive attitude that gets international sympathy.

Yeah, now everyone *loves* Jews.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2010, 12:30:25 PM

But the attrocities agains them has gone way down. I'm sure those getting persecuted by the burmese would like that trade off :contract: :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

The dictatorship has trained even some foreigners to call the country "Myanmar."  :(
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on February 25, 2010, 12:30:25 PM

Well, it would take more than good PR to get people to actually like Jews.  Not even Jews  actually like Jews.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Ah Mynamar.
Too nice to be N.Korea, too nasty to be Iran.

QuoteIt's amazing how Myanmar's government has been flying under the radar for so many years, at least relatively speaking.  I guess their genius lies in not having a single face to associate with the atrocities they regularly commit.
True.
I really have to investigate how their government even works.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Sounds like the kind of place Pat would like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2010, 02:15:29 PM
Burma, it's call Burma.
Not to those who support the government.

It's one of the ways to tell the sides apart.

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 12:43:08 PM
Well, it would take more than good PR to get people to actually like Jews.  Not even Jews  actually like Jews.  :P

Ah, so you've met some of my mother's relations?  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

I hate Jews. My grandfather went out of business when the Jews flooded the market with pre-owned dentalwear.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on February 25, 2010, 02:28:58 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 25, 2010, 02:15:29 PM
Burma, it's call Burma.
Not to those who support the government.

It's one of the ways to tell the sides apart.
Yes, a very stupid way, but way nonetheless.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2010, 03:14:00 PM
Yes, a very stupid way, but way nonetheless.
I dare say that if it works for the Burmese they can probably live with the idea that you think their method is very stupid.  :)

Bayraktar!