And we're back!

Main Menu

Myanmar troops 'torturing women'

Started by Savonarola, February 25, 2010, 11:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on February 25, 2010, 12:05:44 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 25, 2010, 11:54:27 AM
It's amazing how Myanmar's government has been flying under the radar for so many years, at least relatively speaking.  I guess their genius lies in not having a single face to associate with the atrocities they regularly commit.

The Burmese people need better PR teams.

It doesn't exactly help that the alternative is a theocracy by crazy monks who want to ban such newfangled demonic inventions as the radio.

Lettow77

The obvious solution is the secession of the karen minority. Unfortunately, it is not the U.S's business to earn their independence for them.

If they can not vindicate their own rights by arbitration of the sword, they do not deserve them.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

I say Burma because the word Myanmar sounds stupid to me.

For similar reasons, every time I drive through Mahwah, New Jersey I MOCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on February 25, 2010, 05:51:40 PM
It doesn't exactly help that the alternative is a theocracy by crazy monks who want to ban such newfangled demonic inventions as the radio.
Since I know you're dying to, why don't you tell us which side is more anti-homo.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

dps

Quote from: Lettow77 on February 25, 2010, 07:29:37 PM
The obvious solution is... ...secession

The unreformed southern teenagers' solution to everything from government hit squads to acne.

Martim Silva

The only news I see here is that they are crucifying. Torture has been common there, but this is new.

Maybe Myanmar/Burma will go Christian?  :pope:

And the regime holds because nobody worthwhile gives a damn. As long as economic conditions aren't disastrous, it's quite hard to move a population to revolt, even against obviously criminal rulers.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on February 25, 2010, 07:45:14 PM
I say Burma because the word Myanmar sounds stupid to me.

For similar reasons, every time I drive through Mahwah, New Jersey I MOCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT.

Was it named by someone with a speech impediment?
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martinus

Every time I see the words "Myanmar" or "Mumbay" used (instead of the correct English names, i.e. "Burma" and "Bombay"), I can't help but smell the scent of patchouli and hear faint sounds of an acoustic guitar. Fucking hippies invading my brain.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on February 26, 2010, 03:09:52 AM
Every time I see the words "Myanmar" or "Mumbay" used (instead of the correct English names, i.e. "Burma" and "Bombay"), I can't help but smell the scent of patchouli and hear faint sounds of an acoustic guitar. Fucking hippies invading my brain.

Not hippies, spirochetes.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

ulmont

I'm sure you'll understand when we refer to "Poland" as "Retardland" from here on out then.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: ulmont on February 26, 2010, 11:07:30 AM

I'm sure you'll understand when we refer to "Poland" as "Retardland" from here on out then.

Or the Autonomous Republic of Польша.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Martim Silva

Mumbai is the original name of the city.

When we Portuguese conquered it in the early XVIth century, we tried to spell it but only managed to pronounce  'Bumbai'.

When it was given to England as dowry in the XVIIth century, the English could not spell 'Bumbai' and corrupted it even further to 'Bombay'.

So, to say 'Bombay' is a 'correct' English name for Mumbai is... paradoxical, to say the least.

grumbler

Those are actually good choices top object to, since there was never a city named "Mumbai" from which there came an anglicized "Bombay (in fact, the name mumbai is an Indianized version of the Portuguese name for the city)," and Myanmar/Burma is roughly analogous to "Persia/Iran" - the former in each case a people, the latter the land (which includes other people).

Objecting to Peking to Beijing, for instance, would be less supportable.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Martim Silva on February 26, 2010, 12:08:44 PM
Mumbai is the original name of the city.

When we Portuguese conquered it in the early XVIth century, we tried to spell it but only managed to pronounce  'Bumbai'.

When it was given to England as dowry in the XVIIth century, the English could not spell 'Bumbai' and corrupted it even further to 'Bombay'.

So, to say 'Bombay' is a 'correct' English name for Mumbai is... paradoxical, to say the least.
Lord Curzon called the city 'Bombay', and that's enough for me.

Why?  Where do you think the paradox is?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

If goddamn foreigners don't like what I call their dirt covered shitholes, well they can go fuck themselves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive