News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

I will agree people were giggling at Dr. Manhattan's blue wang.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Savonarola

The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6, Disc 3

Prior to hitting it big with Porky Pig, Warner Brothers had tried to make it with four Mickey Mouse Rip Offs (Bosko, Piggy, Foxy and Beans.)  This disc focused on them.  Cartoons of the late 20's and early 30's usually were built around a song; usually as an advertisement for sell sheet music for songs owned by the parent company.  Most of the cartoons on the disk are like that, there were several for "We're in the Money" and "Smile Darn Ya Smile."

Warner Brothers cartoons of the era lagged behind Disney and Fleisher in terms of quality and innovation.  Some of the Bosko ones are worthwhile, but overall the disc is not all that great.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Role Models. Exactly what you'd expect.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Syt

Quote from: garbon on March 16, 2009, 06:56:58 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what was confusing...

I would agree with your wife that I would have liked more action.  Less emo action between Jupiter and Night Owl.

I think part of it was that they had trouble following the (English) dialogues, which I didn't see as a problem myself, because I thought language and pronounciation were pretty clear.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2009, 06:14:24 AM
The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 6, Disc 3

Prior to hitting it big with Porky Pig, Warner Brothers had tried to make it with four Mickey Mouse Rip Offs (Bosko, Piggy, Foxy and Beans.)  This disc focused on them.  Cartoons of the late 20's and early 30's usually were built around a song; usually as an advertisement for sell sheet music for songs owned by the parent company.  Most of the cartoons on the disk are like that, there were several for "We're in the Money" and "Smile Darn Ya Smile."

Warner Brothers cartoons of the era lagged behind Disney and Fleisher in terms of quality and innovation.  Some of the Bosko ones are worthwhile, but overall the disc is not all that great.

I ignored Disc 3 in favor of Disc 2, with its wartime cartoons.  :D
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Just rented "Igor" over the weekend. Thank hod it was free; the advertisers did a better job than the production crew. <_<
Experience bij!

Savonarola

Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 08:31:18 AM

The wartime cartoons are great; Herr meets Hare is one of my all time favorites.  Even Bosko the Doughboy is better than anything on Disc 3.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

fhdz

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 17, 2009, 08:47:41 AM
Just rented "Igor" over the weekend. Thank hod it was free; the advertisers did a better job than the production crew. <_<

It wasn't terrible.  My kids thought it was funny.
and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Quote from: Savonarola on March 17, 2009, 09:55:27 AM
Quote from: Cindy Brady on March 17, 2009, 08:31:18 AM

The wartime cartoons are great; Herr meets Hare is one of my all time favorites.  Even Bosko the Doughboy is better than anything on Disc 3.

If you can, the Disney wartime set is good too. I found the educational stuff to be hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Kleves

Watchmen. I liked it. Probably the best they could do, considering the material. The film's ending was definitely the better one.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Almost through watching Extras. I can see why Marty liked the Ian McKellen episode a lot - was very funny.  :D

Even though the concept is fairly repetetive (and I see why they didn't move beyond season 2 with that):
- awkward situations towards minorities (blacks, gays, downs syndrome, midgets ...)
- Andy always meaning well, but gets into trouble by:
a) Maggie's lose mouth (seriously, I'd have punched in her teeth more than once) who forwards his hangups to the "right" people or
b) his bumbling agent, or
c) both, though he often adds his share to make things more awkward
Most of the time I feel sorry for Andy, though, because he's constantly held back by those morons.

Regarding guest stars, I thought the episode with Daniel Radcliffe was extremely fantastic, esp. the condom scene with Diana Rigg. Patrick Steward as usual excelled, and Sir Ian monologuing about what acting is was also priceless.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Short Circuit. Number 5 is alive. :mellow:
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Pedrito

Slumdog Millionaire  I liked it  :)

And the girl is gorgeous

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Brazen

Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 07:03:10 PM
I will agree people were giggling at Dr. Manhattan's blue wang.
Giggling? I was speechless. I think I know the guy it was modelled on. Only, ya know, less blue.