Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerr

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 09:41:12 PM
Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:38:54 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 06, 2009, 09:29:50 PM
Any movie "good enough" to be listed alongside Casablanca, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. Of course I have a somewhat high standard... Different than the Academy's, for sure.

There have been 80 years of Oscars, that standard is a bit high.

Fuck 'em.  The Golden Globes have better taste, more credibility, and aren't as handcuffed to political correctness.

Out of Africa over The Color Purple? Nigger, please.
:whistle:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/43rd_Golden_Globe_Awards#Best_Film_-_Drama

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

BuddhaRhubarb

Just watched "Vinyan" directed by that frenchie dude (or Belgian?)  who made the uber creepy Calvaire .. Apparently children disappear in places other than the South Boston area (friggin Hollywood always with the lies) some did so apparently in the tsunami a few years back. The somehow HAWT and at the same time kinda creepy Rufus Sewell and his wife Emanuelle (oh were my clothes "on" sorry) Beart ... the aforementioned French pastry sees a grainy image of the back of some orphan's head in a NGO video from Burma a few countries over. So they pack up and into the jungle.

Never let white people in the jungle. never ends well.

This movie trips balls with it's insane sound mix and really really amazing use of small hdd camera. In turn both completely abstract and docu-painterly, until the ummm "ending" the story is a fairly typical my kid is missing piece. It's the 2001 A space odyssey of "my child is missing" films

9.444333 really eerie bug eyed feral children who take a shine to you outta 10
:p

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 08:45:36 PM
Yeah, there weren't any films involving chic diseases, the handicapped or populist politics involved.
No, there was just the general morass of mediocre middle class films that make the Oscars feel good rather than, say, brilliant but 'genre' films like the Dark Knight or Wall-E, or even genuinely good films of the sort I thought the Oscars would like like the Wrestler.

It was a triumph of mediocrity from start (Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke) to finish (Slumdog Millionaire, best of a bad bunch).
Let's bomb Russia!

Korea

Not Another Gay Movie...:bleeding:

Why god why?
I want my mother fucking points!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2009, 10:53:25 AMor even genuinely good films of the sort I thought the Oscars would like like the Wrestler.

Honestly, I thought that would've been a slamdunk, but once Penn was there for Milk--who is a homo cult hero--I knew Hollywood would stick to central casting.

Martinus

Caravaggio, which I enjoyed a lot. Very theatrical, too.  :bowler:

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: mongers on April 07, 2009, 05:22:25 PM
Saw 'Burn After Reading' or whatever that recent Coen brothers film is called; big disappointment after 'No country for old men'. It was funny in places, but I found it just a bit too shallow, I think they could have done more with the set up and it should have been longer.

:huh:

It was a comedy. Hard to be deep and funny at the same time.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Martinus

Personally, I found it hilarious.

Sheilbh

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 07, 2009, 05:10:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2009, 10:53:25 AMor even genuinely good films of the sort I thought the Oscars would like like the Wrestler.

Honestly, I thought that would've been a slamdunk, but once Penn was there for Milk--who is a homo cult hero--I knew Hollywood would stick to central casting.
See I don't think it's even that.  I think it's the biopic syndrome.  If you want to win an Oscar play someone who was once actually alive (Piaf, Idi Amin, Ray Charles, Milk, Aileen Warness) and that's just in the last 5 or so years I think.  Or play disabled, or play someone something to do with the Holocaust - I mean that Kate Winslett got the Oscar for the Reader which is technically fine and well-made but made me leave the cinema angry is preposterous when I think she put in a far more interesting performance in a far better film, Revolutionary Road.

Hollywood doesn't have political issues or out and out faggishness or what have you that they're pushing.  It has the banal, middle of the road, watered down, award-baiting bullshit that they rarely transcend.  That the Wrestler didn't sweep the board is a sign of this sort of nonsense.  And if they do have an agenda then they should fucking push it and stop being so bloody tepid.  They're the cultural equivalent of Anglicans.

Having said that, the films just weren't as good as No Country For Old Men or, having watched it again, There Will Be Blood and there would always be a come-down.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 07, 2009, 10:53:25 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 08:45:36 PM
Yeah, there weren't any films involving chic diseases, the handicapped or populist politics involved.
No, there was just the general morass of mediocre middle class films that make the Oscars feel good rather than, say, brilliant but 'genre' films like the Dark Knight or Wall-E, or even genuinely good films of the sort I thought the Oscars would like like the Wrestler.

It was a triumph of mediocrity from start (Sean Penn over Mickey Rourke) to finish (Slumdog Millionaire, best of a bad bunch).
Martinus is angry that you disrespected Penn's performance as a homo in a homo film.

Also, Wall-E, although a better film than anything that was nominated (or the Dark Knight, for that matter), was ineligible.  After Beauty and the Beast made a run at Best Picture, they split off animated movies and made it so they couldn't win Best Picture.  Then again, Wall-E is the first film since Beauty and the Beast who might have won the award anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Korea on April 07, 2009, 03:50:06 PM

Why god why?
So you're the person who keeps encouraging those idiots to make those movies. :bleeding:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Korea

Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2009, 08:39:57 PM

Why god why?
So you're the person who keeps encouraging those idiots to make those movies. :bleeding:

No way. I went to hang out with a friend and turns out he was hanging out with the homoest homos ever and they everyone watched the movie while I was there so I watched most of it. :bleeding: :weep:
I want my mother fucking points!

Neil

Quote from: Korea on April 07, 2009, 08:49:16 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 07, 2009, 08:39:57 PM

Why god why?

No way. I went to hang out with a friend and turns out he was hanging out with the homoest homos ever and they everyone watched the movie while I was there so I watched most of it. :bleeding: :weep:
Well, at least they're marginalizing themselves.

jimmy olsen

The Wave - A made for tv movie based on a true story. Charismatic high school teacher turns his student into fascist drones within the space of a week in order to teach them about the holocaust.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point