And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:05:07 PM
The Dark Knight should have got it.
You really think so?  The Dark Knight wasn't devastatingly good or anything.  It was entertaining, but it's not going to be considered classic cinema in twenty years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Cerr on April 06, 2009, 09:11:10 PM

Frost/Nixon was great.
Langella was superb as Nixon. Of course it helped he played him in the play and won a Tony Award.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2009, 09:12:50 PM
You really think so?  The Dark Knight wasn't devastatingly good or anything.  It was entertaining, but it's not going to be considered classic cinema in twenty years.
It was the Empire Strikes Back of this new Batman continuity. Not Oscar worthy, but much better than anything else in its genre.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Neil on April 06, 2009, 09:10:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2009, 08:45:36 PM
Yeah, there weren't any films involving chic diseases,
What about Milk?

Lead poisoning isn't a chic disease.

Neil

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 06, 2009, 09:15:54 PM
It was the Empire Strikes Back of this new Batman continuity. Not Oscar worthy, but much better than anything else in its genre.
Batman was a better movie.  So was Watchmen.  Iron Man was about as good, as was The Incredible Hulk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

It's a better film than the 20 year old classic Batman. :contract:

Also it's better than Slumdog and way better than Milk. Haven't seen some of the other contenders yet.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Define "Oscar-worthy." Empire was a better movie than the one that won that year(Ordinary People :yawn:)

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:22:55 PM

Define "Oscar-worthy." Empire was a better movie than the one that won that year(Ordinary People :yawn:)
Any movie "good enough" to be listed alongside Casablanca, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. Of course I have a somewhat high standard... Different than the Academy's, for sure.

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 06, 2009, 09:29:50 PM
Any movie "good enough" to be listed alongside Casablanca, The Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia, etc. Of course I have a somewhat high standard... Different than the Academy's, for sure.

There have been 80 years of Oscars, that standard is a bit high.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:38:54 PM

Fuck 'em.  The Golden Globes have better taste, more credibility, and aren't as handcuffed to political correctness.

Out of Africa over The Color Purple? Nigger, please.

Neil

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:38:54 PM

Yep. I have better taste than the Academy.

Neil

Savonarola

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:20:49 PM

But nowhere near as good as 40 year old Adam West Batman. :contract:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

vinraith

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 06, 2009, 09:20:49 PM

I haven't seen it, but given Bale's total inability to play the part without making a hammy mess of it in Begins I sincerely doubt that.