News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Caramel.  Lebanese chicks working at a beauty salon grapple with life issues.  One's getting married but needs to get her pita sewn up so her husband will think she's a virgin.  One's banging a married man who always blows her off.  One seems like she might be a lesbo but nothing ever happens with that plot line.  A friend of theirs is an over the hill model/actress who gets dumped by her husband.  Only real hottie is the one banging the married dude.  A little tubby in the middle but a killer face.

It was funky to hear Hail Mary done in Arabic.

Alatriste

Quote from: Queequeg on April 01, 2009, 09:43:20 PM
Bodas de Sangre, minimalist film semi-adaptation, really a flamenco semi-ballet.  Really beautiful in parts.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JuKHILXww That really caught me off guard, beautiful. 

Also, if anyone can tell the difference between Andalusians and Arabs without the language or the hijab is a genius.

If you liked 'Bodas de Sangre', then watch 'Carmen' and 'El Amor Brujo', also flamenco semi-ballets from Carlos Saura.

And regarding Andalusians/Arabs, Arabs almost always have moustaches and beards, Andalusians rarely do. Other than that...

Martinus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

You mean Polish hooligans should have been killed, too?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on April 03, 2009, 02:29:00 AM
You mean Polish hooligans should have been killed, too?
Well, I don't know about "should have" but that was the objective, wasn't it? :P

charliebear

The Wind Blows Round.

An Italian movie, with subtitles.  The plot was good in theory, but shallow in execution.

The Brain

Troy

It was a lot better than I feared.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

FunkMonk

The 1939 French film The Rules of the Game

Excellent film. I can see why it ranks so high on so many best film lists. I get the feeling I'll have to watch it once or twice more to really appreciate everything that's going on.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Cerr

The Damned United. Film about Brian Clough's time as manager of Derby County and Leeds United.
It was very good. Great acting by Michael Sheen and Colm Meaney.

Korea

The Incredibles

My favorite Disney movie

I want my mother fucking points!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 03, 2009, 10:17:55 PM
The 1939 French film The Rules of the Game

Excellent film. I can see why it ranks so high on so many best film lists. I get the feeling I'll have to watch it once or twice more to really appreciate everything that's going on.

I've got to get around to seeing this soon.  If you can find it, Renoir's La Marseillaise is a pretty good leftist drama of the French Revolution, made in the waning days of the Popular Front.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

Watch the Marines land in Tangiers in the Wind and the Lion, on TMC RIGHT NOW.

Good stuff by jingo.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive