And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 09:37:13 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
Sounds like a load of bullshit.  Great, larger-than-life, heroic characters are a staple of human storytelling.  Whining about 'Mary Sue'-ism comes off as a bunch of losers trying to be too cool for school.  I am less than surprised that the term came from Trekkie fanfictioneers.  What's worse than a bad fanfiction writer?  The kinds of people who get pissy and judgemental about the quality of characterization in fanfiction.

A Mary Sue is not a larger-than-life heroic character.  It is a flawless fantasy character the author usually wishes he/she was.  Hence the character just isn't very interesting.
Yeah, that's why I thought that a character of an old lonely guy who singlehandedly defends an Asian community against murderous gang, while using a rifle and getting to shout "get off my lawn" seems rather Mary-Sue-ish of Eastwood.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2009, 10:01:19 PM
Sounds like a load of bullshit.  Great, larger-than-life, heroic characters are a staple of human storytelling.  Whining about 'Mary Sue'-ism comes off as a bunch of losers trying to be too cool for school.  I am less than surprised that the term came from Trekkie fanfictioneers.  What's worse than a bad fanfiction writer?  The kinds of people who get pissy and judgemental about the quality of characterization in fanfiction.

A Mary Sue is not a larger-than-life heroic character.  It is a flawless fantasy character the author usually wishes he/she was.  Hence the character just isn't very interesting.
Clint Eastwood's character in that movie is a highly flawed individual though, so Marty's characterization is wrong.
A Mary Sue does not need to be flawless in the sense of being perfect and devoid of any character flaws. He or she is "flawless" in the sense of being like the author only "cooler".

Clint Eastwood is an old libertarian gun nut. He makes a movie in which he plays an old libertarian gun nut who manages to singlehandedly defeat a gang, while looking cool and uttering cool catchphrases. That's the very definition of what a Mary Sue is.

Now, I haven't seen the movie and I base this on the trailer only - so I may be wrong - but that's how it comes across.

Martinus

Incidentally, a Mary Sue is not always a bad character, and sometimes a Mary Sue can be also a great character in its own right.

Examples of such "successful Mary Sues" (although some would argue that this actually prevents them from being Mary Sues) imo would be Sandman (from Neil Gaiman's graphic novels) and Therion Lannister.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on April 01, 2009, 04:33:33 AM

A Mary Sue does not need to be flawless in the sense of being perfect and devoid of any character flaws. He or she is "flawless" in the sense of being like the author only "cooler".

Clint Eastwood is an old libertarian gun nut. He makes a movie in which he plays an old libertarian gun nut who manages to singlehandedly defeat a gang, while looking cool and uttering cool catchphrases. That's the very definition of what a Mary Sue is.

Now, I haven't seen the movie and I base this on the trailer only - so I may be wrong - but that's how it comes across.
Nah. He doesn't really do that, he just sort of stumbles into it. I don't want to give away spoilers but the idea of it being a geriatric Eastwood shoot em up is wrong.
██████
██████
██████

Alatriste

Quote from: Tyr on April 01, 2009, 04:44:31 AM

Nah. He doesn't really do that, he just sort of stumbles into it. I don't want to give away spoilers but the idea of it being a geriatric Eastwood shoot em up is wrong.

Yeah, dead wrong.

Eastwood's character is depicted with a lot of symphaty, but it is so far from being flawless, than the mere idea is somewhat funny. And the trailer is incredibly misleading... probably trying to attract the 'Dirty Harry' and 'Unforgiven' fans to the cinema.

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

So Marty, you're saying George Martin wishes he was 3 feet tall?  :lol:
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 31, 2009, 10:01:19 PM

Clint Eastwood's character in that movie is a highly flawed individual though, so Marty's characterization is wrong.

Except it wasn't written by Eastwood.  He's not the author.  It was written by some 40-ish guy from Minnesota, years ago.

It's still a stupid term, and it gives the impression that those who use it are just trying too hard.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 01, 2009, 05:47:53 AM
You are an idiot.

DisturbedPervert

Neil

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on April 01, 2009, 05:47:53 AM
All that weight would look ridiculous on a man that short.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jos Theelen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 31, 2009, 06:25:47 PM
Also the beginning of Eastern Promises, which I had not seen before.

Can anyone tell me why London streets have those zig zag white lines on them?  Are you supposed to slolum through them?

No parking there, near pedestrian crossings, iirc

Admiral Yi

grumbler

Marti, I very much enjoyed your absurd "Mary Sue" hijack, even though you don't understand what a Mary Sue actually is, and hadn't actually seen the movie to which you were applying the term!

There is amusement to be had just from observing the extent of your ignorance on the topic.  Thanks.  :hug:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

Watched "Georgia Rule" last night. Lindsay Lohan goes to Idaho and gives a Mormon a BJ, in a boat.

also stars Jane Fonda and Felicity Huffman as older Bitches.

6.5 chick flick cliches slamming into each other at the bathroom mirror while drunkenly applying mascara outta 10
:p

Admiral Yi

Speaking of Mormons I recently learned that Aaron Eckhart was/is a Mormon.