And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2009, 09:24:22 PM
Dead End (1937)

This make it come across as an episode of Sesame Street.  Humphrey Bogart fills in the Grover roll; but instead of A-B-Cs, he teaches us how to knife people. 

:lmfao:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Gran Torino- Surprisingly good. I love the filming style.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Some movie about young male fuckups in rural New Hampshire involved in petty crime and mistaken identities.  Can't remember the title.  It's pretty funny throughout.  It also has the advantage of being the only movie I'm aware of set in New Hampshire.

Admiral Yi

Also the beginning of Eastern Promises, which I had not seen before.

Can anyone tell me why London streets have those zig zag white lines on them?  Are you supposed to slolum through them?

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on March 31, 2009, 04:16:37 PM
Really? I saw the trailer for it in the cinema, but thought it looks like a full Clint-Eastwood-Going-Mary-Sue wankaton.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 06:31:19 PM
Really? I saw the trailer for it in the cinema, but thought it looks like a full Clint-Eastwood-Going-Mary-Sue wankaton.
Clint Eastwood, with a girl's name?  You just get shittier and shittier, don't you?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 06:40:34 PM
Clint Eastwood, with a girl's name?  You just get shittier and shittier, don't you?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

grumbler

Watched The Patriot on HD-DVD for the first time since I saw it in the theater.  Still pretty wretched, though with some very nice visuals.

I don't understand why they just didn't go ahead and make the Mel Gibson character Daniel Morgan.  That guy's career would have made a great movie, and they mostly used Morgan's shtick for Gibson, anayway.  Anyone who doesn't know about Morgan's career should look him up.  He was one of the truly great amateur soldiers; while outnumbered, he took Tarleton apart like a cheap watch at Cowpens.  Not many amateurs can be the heroes of two battles as decisive as Saratoga and Cowpens.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2009, 06:42:54 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 06:40:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
Sounds like a load of bullshit.  Great, larger-than-life, heroic characters are a staple of human storytelling.  Whining about 'Mary Sue'-ism comes off as a bunch of losers trying to be too cool for school.  I am less than surprised that the term came from Trekkie fanfictioneers.  What's worse than a bad fanfiction writer?  The kinds of people who get pissy and judgemental about the quality of characterization in fanfiction.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Confessions of a Hitler Youth.

Good documentary.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on March 31, 2009, 06:53:58 PM
Sounds like a load of bullshit.  Great, larger-than-life, heroic characters are a staple of human storytelling.  Whining about 'Mary Sue'-ism comes off as a bunch of losers trying to be too cool for school.  I am less than surprised that the term came from Trekkie fanfictioneers.  What's worse than a bad fanfiction writer?  The kinds of people who get pissy and judgemental about the quality of characterization in fanfiction.

A Mary Sue is not a larger-than-life heroic character.  It is a flawless fantasy character the author usually wishes he/she was.  Hence the character just isn't very interesting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 09:37:13 PM

A Mary Sue is not a larger-than-life heroic character.  It is a flawless fantasy character the author usually wishes he/she was.  Hence the character just isn't very interesting.
The article that Martinus provided says that Captain Kirk is considered by some to be a Mary-Sue.  Characters of that sort are the bread and butter of huge sections of our cultures.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Savonarola on March 30, 2009, 09:24:22 PM
Dead End (1937)

Set in the 1930's East End of New York City where the high rises of the rich bordered the slums.  This was a play turned into a movie; unfortunately the movie looks like it, all the action takes place on the same street.  This make it come across as an episode of Sesame Street.  Humphrey Bogart fills in the Grover roll; but instead of A-B-Cs, he teaches us how to knife people.  Bogie and the street kids are charismatic, but the rest of the cast is quite forgettable, except for love interest Sylvia Sidney who has... :unsure: er... :unsure: two unforgettable features.

Black Legion

Also 1937. A good year for Bogey, apparently.

Bogart plays an autoworker in an assembly plant who everyone thinks is next in line for the foreman job. What's going to happen is foreshadowed by a scene showing this young guy studying all the time and Bogey and the boys making fun of him as a bookworm. Yeah, you guessed it. Foreman gets promoted and younger upstart outcast bookworm guy gets promoted over Frank Taylor(Bogart). But that's not all! Younger upstart outcast bookworm guy is...drumroll..

:Joos:

Frank and the boys end up joining a group called the Black Legion who want to save the US for white bigoted tardholes and run the upstart shop foreman and his family out of town dressed in black sheets with cross emblems on them. It's so original!

Frank gets promoted thanks to this! Yay!

Life is great for the pure white US autoworkers running all the furriners off until eventually the inevitable happens, and somebody dies. Frank is brought to trial, but the Legion gets him off with a story in court that says he was cheating on his wife and the chick testifies he was with her when the murder happened. Blah blah blah, and Frank backs out at the last minute because he doesn't want to let his wife down this way even though he's about to be acquitted. He confesses everything and fingers the whole Legion, who all happen to be in the courtroom. The End.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

BuddhaRhubarb

Slumdog Millionaire was neither as bad or as good as I had heard. The pace was not consistent, some of the vignettes were a bit too long. Shoulda cut 20 minutes or so, and it would have been a good roller coaster.

7.49999 horrible "german" scenes I really did not need burned into my retina outta 10
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2009, 09:37:13 PM

Clint Eastwood's character in that movie is a highly flawed individual though, so Marty's characterization is wrong.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point