UK-Israel relations hit the rocks over Dubai assanation

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2010, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 12:08:23 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 11:23:09 AM
Ok. I thought they can be used interchangeably (I mean, Jews can mean both Israelis and people of Jewish ethnicity, depending on the context). Notice that Tamas made the same mistake (assuming this is a mistake). In Polish for example, the word for "Jews" and "Israelis" is the same.

Only about 75% of Israel proper's inhabitants are Jews; I am surprised that Polish uses the same term for both Jews and for Israelis.

Doesn't the Israeli declaration of independence refer to Israel as the "Jewish state" or "the state of the Jews"?

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on February 18, 2010, 02:08:26 PM
be patient with Martinus, he comes from a culture which is full of antisemitism right down to its very roots. Only the ukrainians can overtake the Polacks in this regard, the Hungarians might equal them, but surely can't overtake them, and that IS saying something.

LOL it's so fucking funny considering you also call Israelis "Jews" in your very post in this thread.  :lol:

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 04:01:20 PM
Doesn't the Israeli declaration of independence refer to Israel as the "Jewish state" or "the state of the Jews"?

It also includes this passage -

QuoteWE APPEAL - in the very midst of the onslaught launched against us now for months - to the Arab inhabitants of the State of Israel to preserve peace and participate in the upbuilding of the State on the basis of full and equal citizenship and due representation in all its provisional and permanent institutions.

This passage rather negates the concept of Israel solely being a state for the Jews. And, of course, several Arab tribes did fight for the Israelis and live in Israel to this day as full citizens. About the only thing I am aware of that differentiates them from the Jewish population is that military service is not compulsory. A number of sitting Knesset members are Arabs.

English is quite careful to differentiate between Jews as a people following a particular religion, and Israelis as citizens of Israel.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

I wish people were slightly less hostile here.

The word "Zyd" is the closest equivalent to "Jew". It is definitely not a derogatory word in Polish and is used by all Jewish cultural, political etc. organisations that operate in Poland. Considering it derogatory is completely misguided.

It is used to denote both a person of Jewish religion or ethnicity, and a national of Israel. There is also a word "Izraelczyk" which means only an Israeli national but is used more rarely. Israel is often referred to (including in official lingo) as the "Jewish State".

I thought the usage in English was similar. The usage of the word "Jews" to denote Israelis, by Tamas, earlier in this thread, for some reason did not meet with this kind of reaction as my usage did, which I don't get. So go fuck yourself, everyone.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2010, 02:57:49 PM
Mart, perhaps you should take a break and fix whatever problems you are having.  You keep asking to be spanked in the past few days.

Well, my problem I am having mostly comes from the fact that I am being roasted for something Tamas did in this very thread before me and noone reacted. So yeah, if I am having any issues lately, they come from the hostile shit I put up with on this board. So perhaps I will consider your advice.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 04:15:40 PM
I wish people were slightly less hostile here.

I thought the usage in English was similar. The usage of the word "Jews" to denote Israelis, by Tamas, earlier in this thread, for some reason did not meet with this kind of reaction as my usage did, which I don't get. So go fuck yourself, everyone.

:hmm:

I wonder if I'm being paranoid in thinking I'm too hostile for Martinus but not hostile enough for Grumbler.

Anyway, having reread Tamas' post, he got a pass because his comment was part of a humourous line referencing the British problems with Iran. A joke, in other words. Your line was read as being purely derogatory and hostile to Jews in general, and given the language you employed it is not hard to see why.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Sahib

Quote from: Agelastus on February 18, 2010, 04:21:35 PM

Anyway, having reread Tamas' post, he got a pass because his comment was part of a humourous line referencing the British problems with Iran. A joke, in other words. Your line was read as being purely derogatory and hostile to Jews in general, and given the language you employed it is not hard to see why.
:bleeding:

You're talking about a forum where people regularly use words like "chinaman" or "nigger", and engage in lengthy tirades about genociding the muslims.

Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Razgovory

Not to mention his past hostility to religious and ethnic groups that aren't him.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 04:17:10 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 18, 2010, 02:57:49 PM
Mart, perhaps you should take a break and fix whatever problems you are having.  You keep asking to be spanked in the past few days.

Well, my problem I am having mostly comes from the fact that I am being roasted for something Tamas did in this very thread before me and noone reacted. So yeah, if I am having any issues lately, they come from the hostile shit I put up with on this board. So perhaps I will consider your advice.
For what it's worth, Marti, I don't care about your virulent antisemitism.  :hug:

Martinus

Quote from: Sahib on February 18, 2010, 04:25:16 PM

You're talking about a forum where people regularly use words like "chinaman" or "nigger", and engage in lengthy tirades about genociding the muslims.

Exactly. If someone cried foul every time someone used a word "Pollack" or "faggot" etc. I could understand this reaction.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 18, 2010, 04:25:46 PM
Not to mention his past hostility to religious and ethnic groups that aren't him.

It's funny because I consider (non-Orthodox) Jews my closest allies in bringing forth a secular, non-Christian world. I don't dislike orthodox Jews more than I dislike muslims or catholics, and I don't dislike Israel any more than I dislike other right wing governments engaging in similar actions.

In fact, I'm one of the most vocal critics of Catholics and Poles - both groups that "are me".

So go fuck yourself you miserable piece of shit retarded scum idiot who should have been aborted. :)

Agelastus

Quote from: Sahib on February 18, 2010, 04:25:16 PM

I believe the appropriate thing to remember here is "context is everything." The vast majority of the time those terms are used it is in a clearly humorous or exaggerated fashion.

And the vast majority of posters do not use them anyway.

And what's wrong with "Chinaman" anyway? It is a perfectly legitimate cricketing term for Left arm unorthodox spin.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 04:32:12 PM
So go fuck yourself you miserable piece of shit retarded scum idiot who should have been aborted. :)

Stay classy Martinus.   :)

hmm... I think I may have said that exact phrase once or twice before...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on February 18, 2010, 04:35:13 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 18, 2010, 04:32:12 PM

Stay classy Martinus.   :)

hmm... I think I may have said that exact phrase once or twice before...

I am who I am. If I watched my tongue on an internet board full of strangers, where would I get my daily dose of rage relief?