News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2009

Started by Ed Anger, April 04, 2009, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charliebear

Quote from: charliebear on September 24, 2009, 09:22:17 AM
Spartans travel to Wisconsin this weekend.  I'm looking for something good to come out of this game.

Yep, it's going to be a very long season.

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on September 27, 2009, 07:16:17 PM
Fair enough, but it is still Texas. Might as well root for Dallas, or the Yankees.

That's the baggage of being a non-bandwagon fan of a popular team.  I never had to deal with that, myself :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2009, 12:00:01 PM
That's the baggage of being a non-bandwagon fan of a popular team.  I never had to deal with that, myself :D

The real baggage is no longer being able to afford to go to all the games.  Sometimes I sort of miss the days Texas was a mediocre .500 program with 20,000 empty seats every Saturday.  I could always get great seats for cheap and actually kind of enjoyed those seasons more.  Every victory was like a party.  'Wahoo!  We beat Rice!'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Someday...SOMEDAY...Wyoming will be a mediocre program, I really hope so!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

lustindarkness

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2009, 12:47:32 PM
Don't get your hopes so high.  :P
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 01:27:43 AM
he he.  Here at Languish you're only allowed to root for teams that suck and the Ravens.

Don't make us out your secret Redskins fanboiism.

merithyn

Quote13 Iowa  4-0   788

:yeah:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
If I was a secret Redskins fanboi why would I be protesting your and Neil's tyranny of the underdogs + Ravens?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 28, 2009, 12:28:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 28, 2009, 12:00:01 PM

The real baggage is no longer being able to afford to go to all the games.  Sometimes I sort of miss the days Texas was a mediocre .500 program with 20,000 empty seats every Saturday.  I could always get great seats for cheap and actually kind of enjoyed those seasons more.  Every victory was like a party.  'Wahoo!  We beat Rice!'

:lol:   What was it...the early 90's when they kept losing to Baylor (it was 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 6 or something like that)?  Tickets were cheap as hell back then, from what I remember.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 06:10:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 28, 2009, 05:48:52 PM
If I was a secret Redskins fanboi why would I be protesting your and Neil's tyranny of the underdogs + Ravens?

How is that CDM's thing? He roots for Florida and Notre Dame.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on September 28, 2009, 06:15:44 PM
:lol:   What was it...the early 90's when they kept losing to Baylor (it was 4 out of 5 or 5 out of 6 or something like that)?  Tickets were cheap as hell back then, from what I remember.

Actually Baylor was considered one of the better teams in the old SWC and that game against them was a serious rivalry.  I will never forget that game in 1989 when Baylor just kicked the shit outta Texas 50-7 (in Austin no less) and it wasn't that close.  Today heads would roll but back then it was like 'that sucked, oh well better luck next year.' 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: PDH on September 28, 2009, 12:47:32 PM

You can be!

Beat:
Florida Atlantic
New Mexico
San Diego State
Somebody else

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2009, 07:46:50 AM
You can be!

Beat:
Florida Atlantic
New Mexico
San Diego State
Somebody else
Having come from behind three times to beat the might UNLV Rebels, I fully expect Wyoming to now fall flat on their faces with the cross country travel to FAU...

Mediocrity is not something achieved in one season, my friend, patience is called for.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2009, 07:42:21 AM
Actually Baylor was considered one of the better teams in the old SWC and that game against them was a serious rivalry.  I will never forget that game in 1989 when Baylor just kicked the shit outta Texas 50-7 (in Austin no less) and it wasn't that close.  Today heads would roll but back then it was like 'that sucked, oh well better luck next year.'

Yeah I remember that, and I also remember Baylor being considered "pretty good" at some points, but I don't remember it being an "oh well" thing when they lost to the Bears. 

Fake edit: So I got bored and looked, and Baylor was 5 - 6 (so was Texas) the year they kicked the shit out of the Horns (1989), and the best they've ever done was the twenty or so years where they went ~.500 against those very inconsistent Longhorn teams (UT went 10-2 in 1990 and beat Baylor, then back to 5-6 and lost vOv), which includes the late 80's-early 90's where they won 4 of 5.  Generally, whenever Texas wasn't just bleh, they won. 

Real edit: The series is 70-22-5 in favor of UT, with 10 of those Baylor wins coming between 1974 and 1992 (Fred Akers, David McWilliams, and John Mackovic wooo!).

I'm glad I only really caught the tail end of those years (essentially only the McWilliams "era" on, with some vague memories before that) .  But it did make it so it was easy for my family to afford tickets.  :P

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned