News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2009

Started by Ed Anger, April 04, 2009, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on September 27, 2009, 07:16:17 PM
Fair enough, but it is still Texas. Might as well root for Dallas, or the Yankees.

If you live in a town, or went to the school, I'll give you a pass for liking even a bandwagon team.  Thus Minsky gets a pass for liking the Yankees.  But my father, who lives in Winnipeg, Manitoba, does not.  :angry:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

PDH

Real men root for Wyoming.  Or, if they can't be that real, Arizona.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2009, 05:28:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2009, 05:21:47 PM
As long as somebody knocks Boise State out of going to a BCS bowl, I'll be happy.

Here is their remaining schedule:

UC Davis
@ Tulsa
@ Hawaii
San Jose State
@ Louisiana Tech
Idaho
@ Utah State
Nevada
New Mexico State

It seems really unlikely Boise could fuck that up, but here is hoping.

Boise really needs to join the MWC.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 27, 2009, 07:16:17 PM
Fair enough, but it is still Texas. Might as well root for Dallas, or the Yankees.

Say what?  Dude Texas has three national championships they are not even remotely anything like the Yankees or the Cowgirls.  If my school is going to be hated for winning you should at least wait until they, you know, have won enough to deserve it.  Hate Oklahoma or USC or Alabama or somebody who actually is somewhat comparable to the Yankees.

Well ok Texas claims 1963, 1969, 1970, and 2005 but I personally think the 1970 one is a bunch of crap.  Either Nebraska or Arizona State were the real champions that year.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

The weird thing about Texas is the sheer volume of merch they have out there. I mean, I could be traveling in Seattle, or Ohio or whatever, and there's always a decent chance to see somebody wearing Texas branded merchandise. So in that sense, they are like the Yankees kinda. I like Texas though. They generally have good fans. I don't know why it's a fad to wear an orange ball cap with a T on it.

Edit: Other than the fact that they were the David who beat the USC Goliath in 2005. Maybe they have more fans in the Pac-10 area because of that.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2009, 11:17:51 PM
Edit: Other than the fact that they were the David who beat the USC Goliath in 2005. Maybe they have more fans in the Pac-10 area because of that.

Hopefully it is just because Texas is a huge school with an international alumni base and not just random people bandwagoning on...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2009, 11:38:04 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 27, 2009, 11:17:51 PM

Hopefully it is just because Texas is a huge school with an international alumni base and not just random people bandwagoning on...

Take a wild guess which that might be....

Texas.  :x

Sure - *you* may not be a bandwagon fan, but that doesn't really make it any less revolting to root for them.

Of course, it just speaks to the fanbois arrogance that you are all "Hey, we ONLY have three national championships! I mean five!"

I feel for you, I really do.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

QuoteOf course, it just speaks to the fanbois arrogance that you are all "Hey, we ONLY have three national championships! I mean five!"

Yes Notre Dame, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Pitt, Miami (Fl.), Nebraska, Ohio State, Army, Georgia Tech, Illinois, and Tennessee have all won more than Texas has.  Wow how arrogant of me to point that fact out.

QuoteSure - *you* may not be a bandwagon fan, but that doesn't really make it any less revolting to root for them.

:rolleyes: Maybe I should root for Arizona State since my sister went there.

Admiral Yi

he he.  Here at Languish you're only allowed to root for teams that suck and the Ravens.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 28, 2009, 01:27:43 AM
he he.  Here at Languish you're only allowed to root for teams that suck and the Ravens.

It builds character!

Ed Anger

Valmy is worse than hitler.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Berkut

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 07:39:54 AM
Valmy is worse than hitler.

Hitler rooted for Notre Dame, so not really.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 28, 2009, 07:47:10 AM
It was about time your Texas douchebaggery was exposed.  :P

Yeah I have kept it a huge secret the past six years :P