And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA 2009

Started by Ed Anger, April 04, 2009, 01:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2009, 07:57:58 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 03, 2009, 09:33:16 PM
Nick Montana just doesn't sound as cool as Joe Montana.

Maybe it is short for Nicholas Davout Montana.
That would have to be Louis Nicolas Davout Montana
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 11, 2009, 09:50:41 PM
Alabama's been stripped of 21 wins!

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/31245888/
Except not really, because they still won those games.

Even officious jerks like the NCAA are no match for causality.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Fuck you Tim and Fuck you Boise State:

QuoteBCS rejects MWC proposal
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Bowl Championship Series presidents have rejected the Mountain West Conference's playoff plan.

The MWC proposed an eight-team playoff system that would allow greater access to the national championship game to teams outside the six most powerful leagues. The BCS presidential oversight committee rejected the concept during a teleconference on Wednesday.

"There was no overall support for the proposal, although some conferences were interested in considering certain elements of it in the future -- particularly those related to revenue, access and governance of the BCS arrangement," said University of Oregon president David Frohnmayer, the outgoing committee chairman, in a statement.

Frohnmayer added that all 10 conferences and Notre Dame generated reports that backed the same conclusion: They want to retain the current postseason format and comply with the current television contract.

"I believe we all agree that no system will ever be considered perfect, particularly by those conferences and institutions whose teams are not chosen in any particular year," Frohnmayer said. "But the BCS is the best postseason arrangement that has ever existed in college football. I say that after reviewing the matter from all standpoints, including student-athlete welfare, fan enjoyment, the academic calendar, the significance of the regular season, preservation of the bowl system that benefits a broad base of universities, and business.

"In the last six years, I've read pundits, heard the pronouncements of broadcasters and collected several cubic feet of e-mail printouts from advocates of an NFL-style playoff system. Even those that go beyond sound bite certitude share two intertwined and fatal deficiencies: They disrespect our academic calendars and they utterly lack a business plan."
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 28, 2009, 04:11:28 PM
Fuck you Tim and Fuck you Boise State:

QuoteBCS rejects MWC proposal
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services

Bowl Championship Series presidents have rejected the Mountain West Conference's playoff plan.

The MWC proposed an eight-team playoff system that would allow greater access to the national championship game to teams outside the six most powerful leagues. The BCS presidential oversight committee rejected the concept during a teleconference on Wednesday.

"There was no overall support for the proposal, although some conferences were interested in considering certain elements of it in the future -- particularly those related to revenue, access and governance of the BCS arrangement," said University of Oregon president David Frohnmayer, the outgoing committee chairman, in a statement.

Frohnmayer added that all 10 conferences and Notre Dame generated reports that backed the same conclusion: They want to retain the current postseason format and comply with the current television contract.

"I believe we all agree that no system will ever be considered perfect, particularly by those conferences and institutions whose teams are not chosen in any particular year," Frohnmayer said. "But the BCS is the best postseason arrangement that has ever existed in college football. I say that after reviewing the matter from all standpoints, including student-athlete welfare, fan enjoyment, the academic calendar, the significance of the regular season, preservation of the bowl system that benefits a broad base of universities, and business.

"In the last six years, I've read pundits, heard the pronouncements of broadcasters and collected several cubic feet of e-mail printouts from advocates of an NFL-style playoff system. Even those that go beyond sound bite certitude share two intertwined and fatal deficiencies: They disrespect our academic calendars and they utterly lack a business plan."

I am not a fan of the idea of a playoff system, but why can Division II and Division III and every other division of college football have a play-off without "disrespecting" their "academic calendars"?  Especially since those kids truly do put school first.

grumbler

Quote from: sbr on June 28, 2009, 04:34:46 PM
I am not a fan of the idea of a playoff system, but why can Division II and Division III and every other division of college football have a play-off without "disrespecting" their "academic calendars"?  Especially since those kids truly do put school first.
(1) Shorter regular season, and (2) playoffs immediately after the season ends, rather than waiting for the holidays and the good TV times (since they aren't on national TV).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on June 28, 2009, 04:38:19 PM
(1) Shorter regular season, and (2) playoffs immediately after the season ends, rather than waiting for the holidays and the good TV times (since they aren't on national TV).
Actually they are.  You can watch the Division I playoffs on ESPN every year if you want to.  You can also check out the championship games of the other divisions.

Also they all play a four round playoff, which I don't think anybody is seriously proposing for Division I FBS.  If it is a 2 or 3 game playoff then the seasons would be the exact same length.

I mean the regular season is ONE game shorter for Division I  FCS and Division II and two games shorter for Division III.  I hardly think that is a very compelling reason.

Also as far as academics are concerned football is played on the weekend.  Football players very rarely miss class due to games while almost every other athlete like say, woman's basketball or volleyball, do.  And they also have playoffs...and those sports out perform football players academically.

I am so moved that everybody cares so much more about bigtime college football players academic loads while they don't really care about non-revenue sports athletes academic loads.  Yeah I really buy that one.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

Quote from: sbr on June 28, 2009, 04:34:46 PM
I say that after reviewing the matter from all standpoints, preservation of the bowl system... benefits... business.
Or something.  They wouldn't be able to sell the naming rights to playoffs games.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Damn, are these hypocrites really that stupid?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/01/bcs-official-threatens-a-return-to-the-good-ol-days/
QuoteBcS Official Threatens A Return To The Good Ol' Days
Posted by John Taylor on July 1, 2009 11:57 AM
Leave it to the arrogance of suits immersed in the Bowl championship Series to throw their immense hubris around in the days leading up to yet another Congressional hearing aimed squarely at eliminating them.

At a time when one would think the under-fire organization would be keeping to itself instead of lobbing public verbal Molotov cocktails, one would be wrong.

In an interview with the Nebraska State Paper, University of Nebraska-Lincoln chancellor and chairman of the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee Harvey Perlman strongly intimated that, if Congress is successful in ridding the nation of the blight the BcS has become, a playoff would not be the end result.

No, Perlman said, it would be back to the pre-BcS days of bowl games and an even more mythical national champion being crowned.

"What I think most people don't understand is that the alternative to the current system is not a playoff," Perlman told the paper.  "The alternative to the BCS is going back to our traditional relationship with our bowl partners."

The chairman then went on to assail the mere thought of a playoff system, decrying its very existence as the death knell for bowl games.

"It would diminish the bowl structure and it would reduce the number of opportunities for student-athletes to play in the postseason and that's not a good thing," Perlman said.  "I don't think it's good for college football, I don't think it's good for student-athletes and I don't think it's good for fans.

"I don't see fans travelling [sic] around the country three weeks in succession between December and January following their team. So you're either going to have to play at home sites - which I'm sure everybody will want to play in Nebraska in December and January - or you're gonna have to travel, which means that bowls will cease being intercollegiate events, but will become corporate events, where everybody in, you name the city, will be there except the fans of the teams.

"It's hard to see why a playoff is a good idea."

Of course it's hard to see why a playoff is a good idea when you have your heads shoved so far...  of course you and your ilk don't see it.  Don't want to see it.

The only thing you "see" is the color green, and until you figure out how to attain more of that certain hue -- or until Congress "gently" pushes you -- you will continue to pull a Stevie Wonder when it comes to a much-needed playoff system.

Spare me the student-athlete argument, at least until your member institutions rid themselves of the offseason conditioning program, spring practice and summer strength programs.

Spare me the death knell of the bowl system as it's eminently possible to have both the lower-tier bowls and a playoff system co-exist in a manner beneficial to all involved.

In short, just spare the vast majority of us your weak lines of reasoning.  Nobody's buying it.

Especially key members of Congress, as you all will find out come next Tuesday.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 02:24:37 PM
...which means that bowls will cease being intercollegiate events, but will become corporate events,
I think that horse has already left.

Valmy

Quote"It's hard to see why a playoff is a good idea."

If it is such a horrible idea why doesn't Nebraska quit playing in playoffs in all NCAA sports?  Because those are obviously bad for the players and the fans.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Berkut

In actually interesting news, Arizona still has not decided on a starting QB.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on July 01, 2009, 03:31:31 PM
In actually interesting news, Arizona still has not decided on a starting QB.

Cannot decide which surefire Heisman guy to start eh?  Have they tried using them both?  The two quarterback system never fails.

grumbler

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2009, 02:24:37 PM
Damn, are these hypocrites suits really that stupid smart?
To answer the real question, no.  I think it hilarious, though, that the BCS would "threaten" to return major college football to its golden years.  I hope that they accidently succeed.  I have no interest in a playoff.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on July 01, 2009, 02:31:06 PM
I think that horse has already left.
:yes:  :(

You can lead all the king's horses to water, but you can't go back home.

Bayraktar!