News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Age of Reading?

Started by Malthus, February 08, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

Quote from: DGuller on February 08, 2010, 11:43:26 AM
I learned to read in first grade, when I was over six years old.  Some people tried to get me to read before school, but they quickly gave up on account of me being completely uninterested.

I did too, with the books about Sam and Ann and Nip, their dog.

Syt

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 08, 2010, 12:04:12 PM
I remember the first book I liked in the school library, 1st or second grade. It was a giant book of WWI biplanes. Those things fascinated the hell out of me.

I learned to read with Asterix comics, the French comic about the American Civil War "The Blue Boys", Lucky Luke and Reader's Digest "World History" in 2 volumes (though I very much preferred the maps in it). I think my parents were a bit disconcerned when I built a LEGO guillotine at age 8 after illustrations in the book.

Oddly, I never liked children's or youth books much and preferred non-fiction (there were some pretty decent aimed-at-kids books about history and science which I loved and read a lot at the library. The first fiction book I recall to have read was an edited children's version of Moby Dick (I loved the movie with Gregory Peck ... well, I still do). I had some sci-fi books I enjoyed, though (Commander Perkins, a sci-fi adventure series, and some short story collections which included something like Last Starfighter or some postapocalyptic stories which I loved).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grallon

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2010, 11:45:08 AM

Lets kids be kids.

And make functional illiterates later on right?

The sooner the better Malthus.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

sbr

Quote from: Malthus on February 08, 2010, 11:55:07 AM
What is concerning for us is that Carl was born in mid December, making him the youngest one in his class. His cousin, born three weeks later, is the oldest one in her class - born early January.

A year makes a big difference at this age.

My youngest was born Dec. 28; she is the oldest in her class, thankfully.  She is incredibly shy and I would have been tempted to hold her back a year to keep her from being the youngest in her class.

Syt

Quote from: Malthus on February 08, 2010, 11:55:07 AM
What is concerning for us is that Carl was born in mid December, making him the youngest one in his class. His cousin, born three weeks later, is the oldest one in her class - born early January.

I was the youngest in class all 13 years of school and I turned out fine, I think. :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Grallon on February 08, 2010, 12:18:49 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2010, 11:45:08 AM

Lets kids be kids.

G.

:rolleyes: I turned out fine.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

I still remember the day I learned to read. It was the same day I learned to ride a bike. It was a pretty productive day. I was probably 5, but then we didn't have reading lessons or anything so I still don't think I was slow.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

i knew basic stuff like how to spell cat in preschool, so probably 4. "Really" (little kid) reading startied in grade 1, so five. Kids get way too much homework. It started when i was little and it's growing.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Strix

It appears that schools are pushing for more and more at a younger age. Unfortunately a lot of it is driven by the disparity in learning between those that want to learn and those that do not i.e. the burbs versus the inner cities.

It's an agenda being pushed by some States that if they start a kid learning earlier than that gives the educators more time with the child and sparks an interest in learning. Which means many of the goals and benchmarks are set by the standards being applied to inner city kids. The result is the kids in the burbs get smarter faster which creates a bigger gap between inner city and other kids which in turns creates more issues for educators.

It has it's good points and it's bad points. It won't work because administrators and politicians just don't understand or refuse to understand the bigger picture.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

sbr

Quote from: HVC on February 08, 2010, 12:35:31 PM
i knew basic stuff like how to spell cat in preschool, so probably 4. "Really" (little kid) reading startied in grade 1, so five. Kids get way too much homework. It started when i was little and it's growing.

I think my kids had more homework in elementary school( grades 1-6) than they do now in 8th and 10th grade.  They get very good grades but never seem to have homework.

Malthus

Quote from: sbr on February 08, 2010, 12:19:13 PM

My youngest was born Dec. 28; she is the oldest in her class, thankfully.  She is incredibly shy and I would have been tempted to hold her back a year to keep her from being the youngest in her class.

Carl's not shy. At all.  :D

The other day they had a show-and-tell, and he took his harmonica and played a "tune" (he doesn't yet play actual songs, but he's very musical) - he had the other kids dancing, apparently.

His thing is that he can be very silly - he is only four, and sometimes he just feels like tuning you out and babbling about racing and shooting bad guys. The older kids and teachers on occasion find this tedious.

OTOH, he's learning, albeit slowly, to play games without throwing a tantrum when he loses. He was playing snakes & ladders with his grandma, and she won - he said "well done!".

He was so impressed with snakes & ladders that he spontaneously invented a game by himself - something he's very good at: each person tosses a four-sided ball in the air and the colour uppermost is what they have to do:

Yellow = climb a ladder (good)
Red = burn up in flames (bad)
Blue = swim in the ocean (OK)
Green = run across the grass (OK)

You have to act it out.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2010, 12:21:16 PM
I was the youngest in class all 13 years of school and I turned out fine, I think. :unsure:
I was the oldest one, by several years.

merithyn

Quote from: Grallon on February 08, 2010, 12:18:49 PM

G.

Why? This is a silly concept, that learning earlier makes one better. It's simply not true.

Anecdotally, I learned to read when I was three and was reading chapter books by first grade. I'm still an avid bibliophile. However, my brother and sister didn't learn to read until they were in first grade (which was the norm). Both are extraordinarily successful business folks, read nearly as avidly as I do now, and are very articulate.

Of my own children, I had two learn to read at five, one at three, and one at six. They've all tested very well on standardized tests in Reading and English. They all love to read, and they're all perfectly happy with a book in their hand.

As for the homework thing, when the kids were in preschool they had "book bags" that came home with them. The idea was that we would read the books to the kids, write down that we did so, and the kids would draw a picture showing what they thought of the story. The intent was to encourage parents to read to the kids. I hated them. The stories were stupid, the kids hated the whole process, and overall, it turned all of us off from homework for quite a while. Instead of reading them silly books, we started in with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at bedtime. :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.