News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Age of Reading?

Started by Malthus, February 08, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Well, we are very happy - over the last month, Carl has quite definitely learned to read, right after he turned 4. Not exactly reading Tolstoy yet, more readers of the "I went to the Library" variety, but still. Also, he can make short words by arranging letters and he can write very basic words.

It seems to me they are pushing kids into reading and writing earlier these days. When I was 4 I'm pretty sure the school did not hand out homework; Carl gets lots of home exercises he's supposed to do. Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't read until I was 5 or so.

What age were you reading at?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

I think I was reading very basic stuff shortly after turning 4.  I didn't start reading things that actually had plot or a semblance of a real story until around 2nd-3rd grade, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

I was reading at 2, and started learning English shortly after. :smarty:

Ed Anger

That Baby Can Read crap they push on TV annoys me. Also, homework annoys me too.  :D

I don't remember the age I was reading at, but it was sorta early. I remember having to see a school headshrinker/pothead so I could go to Kindergarten a bit early.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DGuller

I learned to read in first grade, when I was over six years old.  Some people tried to get me to read before school, but they quickly gave up on account of me being completely uninterested.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

I read newspaper articles better than my parents at age 5.

Also wrote poems in first and second grade.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 08, 2010, 11:45:08 AM

Lets kids be kids.
Agreed.  It's not like it's a skill that you must learn early, or never.

Crazy_Ivan80

learned it in first grade, which is soon enough.
But was read to from an early age so the interest in stories was a given.

Malthus

What is concerning for us is that Carl was born in mid December, making him the youngest one in his class. His cousin, born three weeks later, is the oldest one in her class - born early January.

A year makes a big difference at this age.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

Reading was founded in the 8th century and endured the Battle of Reading in 871. It became Berkshire's county town in 1867.

Richard Hakluyt

I was 7 when I learned to read. I successfully struggled through a book that I found interesting and from that point the reading skill took off. The various reading schemes were a huge turn-off............though somehow the basic skills must have been inculcated one way or another.

Caliga

I believe I learned to read in kindergarten, which means probably around the age of 4.

Next up: Spellus and/or CC who will claim they learned to read when they were two weeks old. :P
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

I remember the first book I liked in the school library, 1st or second grade. It was a giant book of WWI biplanes. Those things fascinated the hell out of me.

I think the Snoopy-Red Baron thing helped.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on February 08, 2010, 12:03:51 PM
I believe I learned to read in kindergarten, which means probably around the age of 4.

Next up: Spellus and/or CC who will claim they learned to read when they were two weeks old. :P

Heh, some kids were lucky - their moms jammed a dictionary up themselves when they were pregnant.  :D