News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Age of Reading?

Started by Malthus, February 08, 2010, 11:35:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Strix on February 08, 2010, 12:39:51 PM
It appears that schools are pushing for more and more at a younger age. Unfortunately a lot of it is driven by the disparity in learning between those that want to learn and those that do not i.e. the burbs versus the inner cities.
I've a friend who teaches 4 year olds and she says that giving homework (which I never had in primary school) is largely driven by pushy parents who have no fear phoning the school or trying to set up a 'meeting' because they don't think their kid's getting the educational push they deserve/need.

I think I learned early but I loved reading from the start.  I was, though, a late talker - but when I started :o
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maximus on February 08, 2010, 05:46:06 PM
I'm amazed at the number of people who started school at the ages of 4 and 5. When I started the minimum age was six and a half.

In England 4's the standard age you start school.  In Scotland it's 5.  I started school in England and then moved to Scotland but stayed in my educational year meaning I was always the youngest.
Let's bomb Russia!

BuddhaRhubarb

Spider-Man, Richie Rich, & Cookie Monster taught me how to read at age 4 or so but never learned writing til grade one. There was no such thing a pre-school back in Bedrock, where I grew up.
:p

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on February 08, 2010, 11:35:30 AM
Well, we are very happy - over the last month, Carl has quite definitely learned to read, right after he turned 4. Not exactly reading Tolstoy yet, more readers of the "I went to the Library" variety, but still. Also, he can make short words by arranging letters and he can write very basic words.

It seems to me they are pushing kids into reading and writing earlier these days. When I was 4 I'm pretty sure the school did not hand out homework; Carl gets lots of home exercises he's supposed to do. Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't read until I was 5 or so.

What age were you reading at?
It took me a while to learn to read, I don't think I really got it down until the 2nd grade. However from 3rd grade on I was one of the most, perhaps the most, prolific readers in school.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2010, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 08, 2010, 12:04:12 PM
I remember the first book I liked in the school library, 1st or second grade. It was a giant book of WWI biplanes. Those things fascinated the hell out of me.

I learned to read with Asterix comics, the French comic about the American Civil War "The Blue Boys", Lucky Luke and Reader's Digest "World History" in 2 volumes (though I very much preferred the maps in it). I think my parents were a bit disconcerned when I built a LEGO guillotine at age 8 after illustrations in the book.

Oddly, I never liked children's or youth books much and preferred non-fiction (there were some pretty decent aimed-at-kids books about history and science which I loved and read a lot at the library. The first fiction book I recall to have read was an edited children's version of Moby Dick (I loved the movie with Gregory Peck ... well, I still do). I had some sci-fi books I enjoyed, though (Commander Perkins, a sci-fi adventure series, and some short story collections which included something like Last Starfighter or some postapocalyptic stories which I loved).
A French comic on the American Civil War? I'm intrigued.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2010, 02:24:33 AM
Well, we are very happy - over the last month, Carl has quite definitely learned to read, right after he turned 4. Not exactly reading Tolstoy yet, more readers of the "I went to the Library" variety, but still. Also, he can make short words by arranging letters and he can write very basic words.

It seems to me they are pushing kids into reading and writing earlier these days. When I was 4 I'm pretty sure the school did not hand out homework; Carl gets lots of home exercises he's supposed to do. Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't read until I was 5 or so.

It took me a while to learn to read, I don't think I really got it down until the 2nd grade. However from 3rd grade on I was one of the most, perhaps the most, prolific readers in school.

Why prolific and not prochoicic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I was reading and writing before school as well, had it down pat at 4.
You're giving Carl Jr a headstart in life, where he'll become more accomplished than his peers. 

Foster a love for reading, and he's stay at the tip of the spear.

No other trait will help him more in life than the ability to read and write well.  It is a commodity that becomes rarer each generation.  You can't believe the shit I read, from supposedly accomplished, educated people. 

Hell, my boss makes more spelling errors than Berkut on crystal meth.  While wearing mittens.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 09, 2010, 02:29:12 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 08, 2010, 12:17:39 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 08, 2010, 12:04:12 PM
I remember the first book I liked in the school library, 1st or second grade. It was a giant book of WWI biplanes. Those things fascinated the hell out of me.

I learned to read with Asterix comics, the French comic about the American Civil War "The Blue Boys", Lucky Luke and Reader's Digest "World History" in 2 volumes (though I very much preferred the maps in it). I think my parents were a bit disconcerned when I built a LEGO guillotine at age 8 after illustrations in the book.

Oddly, I never liked children's or youth books much and preferred non-fiction (there were some pretty decent aimed-at-kids books about history and science which I loved and read a lot at the library. The first fiction book I recall to have read was an edited children's version of Moby Dick (I loved the movie with Gregory Peck ... well, I still do). I had some sci-fi books I enjoyed, though (Commander Perkins, a sci-fi adventure series, and some short story collections which included something like Last Starfighter or some postapocalyptic stories which I loved).
A French comic on the American Civil War? I'm intrigued.

It's pretty good. It's about 2 friends, 1 is always trying to desert while the other is a loyal soldier.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Agelastus

"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Razgovory

I was taught to read before I went to school so 3-4 or so.  I don't remember it to well.  In fact I don't recall not being able to read.  Take that for what you will.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017