News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Wow - after a few big names, they're starting to dig pretty deep into the Can-Con barrel.   :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: katmai on February 28, 2010, 08:06:39 PM
Next you'll tell me i can find ethnic Chinese Mexicans :rolleyes:

You don't look Chinese. :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 28, 2010, 06:37:13 PM
I've been meaning to ask for the last few days & just haven't had a chance:  What kind of ink has Toews been getting in The Great White North for his Olympic play?  Because the Canadian games have been on almost exclusively in Prime Time I got to watch most of their play, and I was seeing Toews have a fucking MONSTER tournament for Canada.  I mean yeah, sure, as a Blackhawks fan I'm already a Toews fan, but from my living room it seemed like he did an awesome job defensively & especially killing penalties.  His point production (including his goal today) was more like the icing on the cake as opposed to the cake itself.  Or something...

Toews is a national hero because of his play - simple as that.

Grey Fox

Toews speaks french. His mother once call RDS to tell them to stop saying "Jonathan" the english way & use the proper "french" way.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 10:47:19 PM
Wow - after a few big names, they're starting to dig pretty deep into the Can-Con barrel.   :rolleyes:

I asked the boys to call me if someone good comes on.  I left after the Quebec singer.  She was good.  Btw, GF, what does the chorus in that song mean?

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 28, 2010, 11:03:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 10:47:19 PM

I asked the boys to call me if someone good comes on.  I left after the Quebec singer.  She was good.  Btw, GF, what does the chorus in that song mean?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03VGSciyT8

QuoteEmmène-moi briser les murs et les barrières
Emmène-moi dans un autre univers
J'aurai la foi, emmène-moi
Emmène-moi plus loin qu'un monde imaginaire
Ramène-moi plus près , si je me perds
Jusqu'au bout de toi, emmène-moi

Bring Me breaking walls & barriers
bring me in another universe
I'll have faith, bring me
bring me further then an imaginary world
Bring me back closer if I get lost
To your limits, bring me.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Good hockey game, well worth staying up late. :cheers:

I alternated in the first period between Swiss, German and Austrian commentary. German commentary seemed the only one really knowledgeable about the game, the players and the background.

Have to catch a rerun of the closing ceremonies. How big is this Bublé dude in Canada? German tv had him in short segments showing a reporter around town during the games (ZDF; the other station, ARD - who alternates with ZDF in the broadcast - had Kati Witt).

German tv had a look at the lack of major doping findings during the games. They pointed out that the Russians had several major incidents before the games and had received several stern warnings. Odlly, they also had their wors result in decades. Officials say, of course, that it's nothing to do with doping (or lack thereof), but that they sent a young team in preparation for the home Olympics in 2014.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Btw, during the first break they showed downtown Vancouver where a crowd had gathered in front of a video wall. The commentator was among ecstatic Canucks (the bit was filmed shortly after the 1-0) but pointed out that just moments ago they had all been sitting there rather quiet and orderly, "as Canadians are like to do, as we noticed these past days, e.g. when they're standing in line."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

citizen k

Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2010, 01:31:00 AM
... they had all been sitting there rather quiet and orderly,

Music to a German's ears.  ;)

Syt

Quote from: citizen k on March 01, 2010, 02:53:09 AM
Quote from: Syt on March 01, 2010, 01:31:00 AM
... they had all been sitting there rather quiet and orderly,

Music to a German's ears.  ;)

:lol:

The exact expression the reporter used was "in Reih und Glied" which means "in file" in the military sense.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Delirium

I think the US had the best tournament overall and should be really proud of themselves, winning five games and tying the last one with 20 seconds left of regulation. Taking the final to OT (usually a coin toss) was more than you could reasonably expect, and I thought (and had predicted) Canada would choke, but they came out as the better team in OT, although I think the US played the slightly better game in regulation, stepped up to the physicaly challenge and had some really good puck possession. Individual mistakes and some pretty unlucky bounces (and calls) sealed their fate, Canada really didn't look convincing but since they won the lottery, nobody cares.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

Admiral Yi

I thought the US was very lucky to only be down 2-1 at the end.  In the 2nd period Canada was raining down shots that either hit the post or took miracle saves.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 28, 2010, 07:00:27 PM
Dan Boyle is Franco?  :scratches head:
Franco-Ontarian from Ottawa I believe, as he attended elementary and high school in French.  He speaks French with a light ontarian accent.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on February 28, 2010, 06:16:48 PM
And we won gold in the sports that matter most: hockey and curling.   :showoff:

Know which sport Carl insisted on watching? Curling.

I tell you, if you'd visited four years ago, i'd be doubting his paternity.  :P

[I attribute it to his being able to see easily what is happening]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius