And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 28, 2010, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 04:28:27 AM
Btw, did I miss anything or has there been no major doping incident so far? :unsure:

There's no cycling or athtletism at the winter olympics, so of course not.

Well, you used to have at least one or two teams doping on the endurance sports (cross country, biathlon). Last time in Turn the Austrians got busted, a German athlete got barred from a race due to a blood value being too high etc.

My theory is, though, that the teams of advanced nations can ride the limits better - when to stop using something so it's not detectable, what to take that's not on any list etc.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Did someone win a bronze with broken ribs and a punctured lung? or was that anotehr olympics? a commentator mentioned something like that last night, but missed part of the story so i don't know what event, or if it was even this olympics.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

Quote from: HVC on February 28, 2010, 12:07:30 PM
Did someone win a bronze with broken ribs and a punctured lung? or was that anotehr olympics? a commentator mentioned something like that last night, but missed part of the story so i don't know what event, or if it was even this olympics.

Yes.

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/310031,majdic-won-olympic-medal-with-four-broken-ribs-and-damaged-lung.html
QuoteMajdic won Olympic medal with four broken ribs and damaged lung

Whistler, Canada - Petra Majdic won her cross-country sprint bronze medal with four fractured ribs and a tear of the membrane of the lung from a training crash, Slovenian team doctor Tatjaz Urul said on Thursday. Turel told Slovenian television TVS said that the injuries will not allow Majdic to compete again at the Vancouver Games but can't fly home immediately either because of the lung injury.

"Examinations in a Vancouver clinic confirmed the rib fractures. We made the recommendation that she shouldn't fly home immediately because of the lung injury. A long flight could do her harm," Turel told TVS.

Majdic's heroics were the talk of the town even before the exact nature of the injuries were later known. She arrived in a wheelchair at the medal ceremony late Wednesday to collect her bronze behind Norway's Marit Bjoergen and Justyna Kowalczyk of Poland.

"I think that they (the Slovenians) will think that I am just more than a hero, especially when they find out what injuries I was competing with. I think for sure more than a hero," Majdic said.

Majdic, 30, fell on an icy patch and slid into a small gorge during the warm-up. First ultrasound examinations revealed no fractures and she used just pain killers to get from qualifying through the quarter-and semi-finals onto the podium.

"This is not a bronze medal, this is a gold medal with little diamonds on it. I already won a medal for going to the start. The wish was so big because I have been fighting for this for 22 years," she said.

"There was a big hole. I fell three metres. I fell on rocks. I broke one ski and both poles. I was screaming."

Majdic, who had to be helped out of the finish area by team officials after each race, named personal and national pride as the driving force behind her refusal to give up.

"I thought it was over. I couldn't breathe, couldn't move, couldn't walk. But my desire was so strong. The second part of me said I will go to the start," she said.

"You know what it is like when you came from a small country. And you never know whether you will get such a chance again."

Majdic got the first Olympic cross-country medal for Slovenia, the nation's fifth overall (all bronze) and the first individual medal since 1994.

Majdic's psychologist Matej Tusak encouraged her to compete as a day of pain was nothing compared to decades of preparation.

"It is just a lot of pain and I said to her 'You have 25 years of training, you can do this, you have to do this for yourself, you will just have to hear your heartbeat and feel your arms and legs, then you can do it,'" said Tusak.

Majdic was the Olympic top favourite as leader of the sprint World Cup, and with 16 of her 20 World Cup race wins coming in this discipline.

She said Wednesday that she would likely miss Friday's pursuit but would try to compete in next week's 30km. However, the final diagnosis now ended her Olympic adventure.

It's one of those Olympic stories that make me watch the Games. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

how badly do the beat she beat feel? :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PRC

After Canada won Gold in Salt Lake City I was in Victoria and there were chicks taking their tops off in the streets, dancing, cheering... it was awesome.  I expect the same to happen again if Canada wins today and if they lose... I reckon Vancouver will have a relapse to what occured after the 94 Stanley Cup playoffs when the Canucks lost to the Rangers in Game 7.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 12:12:47 PM
Same here.  :)  And the fact that she won a bronze medal after that is also a nice story.

BuddhaRhubarb

I'm torn about whether to watch the game alone at home, or go out somewhere. Don't really feel like a mid-day party (of joy or sorrow) and being around crowds today. But I'll watch either way,
:p

Drakken

Quote from: DGuller on February 28, 2010, 01:54:11 PM
Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 12:12:47 PM
Same here.  :)  And the fact that she won a bronze medal after that is also a nice story.

Meh. Joanie Rochette actually lost her own mother (as in suddenly died) 24 hours after the latter arrived to Vancouver to support her, two days before the beginning of her figure skating competition, and she went to win the Bronze anyway.

HOTT and badass. :perv:

Syt

Hehe. It appears Russian president Medvedev cancelled his attendance of the closing ceremony, because the Russian team sucked so badly. Or so German tv claims.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Drakken

Quote from: Syt on February 28, 2010, 02:13:14 PM
Hehe. It appears Russian president Medvedev cancelled his attendance of the closing ceremony, because the Russian team sucked so badly. Or so German tv claims.

I smell the gulag denial of passport sojourn in Lubianka prison shame handed out to the underwhelming Russian athletes when arriving back to Russia.  :sleep:

I would have gone anyway, but made sure the Russian delegation parades hanging their heads down in shame.  :hide:

Delirium

Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

BuddhaRhubarb

BuddhaRhubarb

Also the CTV station seems pretty intent on giving the edge to the Yanks for some reason. Homers are allowed at medal games man. Jeez.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the goalie battle. I'd never bet against Miller this year. I may need some "medication" for this game.

Jacob

This whole TV on the net thing is working out pretty nice.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.