News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

You have fucking GOT to be kidding me.

I heard on the radio this morning that he had been forced to leave after some "racy photos", and assumed someone took a picture of him banging someone or with his pants down or something.

THIS?

WTF. He is a kid having a good time celebrating an awesome (maybe the most awesome) moment in his life. Who fucking cares? Some chick biting his bronze medal? Is that it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Olympic officials have to start understanding, or atleast expect, the snowboarders will behave badly. They will do outrages thing, they will smoke dope & they will get drunk.

Fucking Establishement. Downhill sucks!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 22, 2010, 07:07:09 AM
X Games are awesome, when are we kicking out all those Downhill races? Racing the clock is boring.

Downhill is pretty cool, though I agree that the events where people race each other(sno-cross, ski-cross, short track speed skating) are better. Get rid of the figure skating imo.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

I officially hate Canadian Olympic Curling fans.  They made my girl Madeleine Dupont cry. :mad:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Barrister

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 22, 2010, 04:06:32 PM
I officially hate Canadian Olympic Curling fans.  They made my girl Madeleine Dupont cry. :mad:

Got a story for us?

And as I have said before, the fans in the stands are Olympic fans, not curling fans.  The breaches of etiquette are numerous - and you'd never see that at a pure curling event.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 02:41:13 PM

I heard on the radio this morning that he had been forced to leave after some "racy photos", and assumed someone took a picture of him banging someone or with his pants down or something.

THIS?

WTF. He is a kid having a good time celebrating an awesome (maybe the most awesome) moment in his life. Who fucking cares? Some chick biting his bronze medal? Is that it?
Remember: he's on the US Team :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Such a shame but they should make the crowd STFU.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 04:08:41 PM
Quote from: Judas Iscariot on February 22, 2010, 04:06:32 PM

Got a story for us?

And as I have said before, the fans in the stands are Olympic fans, not curling fans.  The breaches of etiquette are numerous - and you'd never see that at a pure curling event.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Candian-curling-fans-leave-Danish-player-in-tear?urn=oly,221320  The picture they used is not her crying, it's from an earlier match against Germany.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 22, 2010, 04:08:41 PM
Got a story for us?

QuoteA Danish curler was brought to tears after a boisterous Canadian crowd intentionally distracted her during crucial shots in her team's match against the home nation. With the crowd stomping and making deafening noise, Denmark skip Madeleine Dupont missed two potentially game-winning shots and tearfully blamed the fans for it afterward. Canada won the match 5-4 in an extra end.

Such boorish fan behavior is normally considered unacceptable in the genteel world of curling.

After the match, Dupont told reporters:

"I could not control the weight on the last shot in the 10th. It should have been way slower, but when there are 6,000 people yelling, it's pretty hard to find out how hard you kick off. It's just so hard to focus. You're trying, but it's just not the same as if it was silent. 

"If they were yelling this much when Cheryl was throwing, that would be more fair. You can't hear anything. You can't hear what your skip is saying. You can't hear what your sweepers are saying. You just have to do your best under the circumstances – and we did, but it was hard in the 10th."

There's nothing wrong with cheering loudly before and after points, but fans need to respect the etiquette of whichever sport they're watching and act accordingly. A luger knows he's going to hear cowbells ringing while negotiating turns at 90 mph, yet it wouldn't be fair if a spectator rang one during Evan Lysacek's free skate. If a curler is used to silence, a curler deserves silence.

Even the Canadian curling team agrees. Skip Cheryl Bernard said of the boisterous fans at the rink:

"I'm guessing 75 percent in there don't know the game that well and they're just there to cheer. You have to give them something for that, but I think we need to have it a little bit quieter for the opposition because it's uncomfortable for them."

That's more an indictment of the knowledge of fans rather than poor sportsmanship. Canadian fans will have a shot at redemption this week as their team plays in the medal rounds. Hopefully they'll cheer on their hometown teams with passion, just not during the other team's shots.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/blog/fourth_place_medal/post/Canadian-curling-fans-leave-Danish-player-in-tea?urn=oly,221320

Barrister

The article confirms exactly what I have been saying.

And the damn fans are just as boisterous during Canada's shots. :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on February 22, 2010, 02:41:13 PM

THIS?

IIRC, Olympic officials have a thing about publically disrespecting the medals.  Long time ago I remember one guy being awarded a bronze medal, and then he took it off and stomped it in disappointment.  He no longer had that bronze medal after that, and was banned for life from future Olympic events.

C.C.R.

Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2010, 11:25:31 AM
Canada's weaknesses?  Not so many..
Just scoring, defense and goaltending.  Ouch.

Ouch indeed.  My favorite quote:

QuoteBut take heart, Canada. As CTV's Rod Black noted last night, the United States may have  beaten the Canadians in hockey. But Canada bettered the United States in ice dancing.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 22, 2010, 05:16:26 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 22, 2010, 11:25:31 AM
Canada's weaknesses?  Not so many..
Just scoring, defense and goaltending.  Ouch.

Ouch indeed.  My favorite quote:

QuoteBut take heart, Canada. As CTV's Rod Black noted last night, the United States may have  beaten the Canadians in hockey. But Canada bettered the United States in ice dancing.
:lol:  It's the gift that keeps giving.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014